Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt validation with Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt validation with Portfolio Recovery Associates

I have an account with portfolio recovery that I have disputed with the FCRA and the CFPB. Each time I request validation they send me a dinning letter along with copies of statrsments. I personally really don't recall having an account that was sold to them. Seems like the original creditor was HSBC, later sold to Capital One. Any suggestions ? I have requested a copy of my signed contract stating that I have an obligation to pay.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt validation with Portfolio Recovery Associates

@Anonymous wrote:
I have an account with portfolio recovery that I have disputed with the FCRA and the CFPB. Each time I request validation they send me a dinning letter along with copies of statrsments. I personally really don't recall having an account that was sold to them. Seems like the original creditor was HSBC, later sold to Capital One. Any suggestions ? I have requested a copy of my signed contract stating that I have an obligation to pay.

Statements are a validiation of the debt. If after your review you are sure the account is not yours you need to go thru the ID Theft procedure to have the account excluded from your CRs.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect-Yourself/td-p/2059499

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt validation with Portfolio Recovery Associates

Did you send your communication to the debt collector as a request for debt validation under the FDCPA, or as a dispute of accuracy of credit reporting under the FCRA?

They are very different processes with different requriments.

If sent as a debt validation request (DV), there is no period for or requirement to respond.

Is sent within 30 days of dunning notice, a DV imposes a cease collection bar, and the debt collector can choose to cease further collection activites until they first send validation.

If not timely, it imposes no requirements on the debt collector.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.