Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt

@joeyoey wrote:

Trying “pay for deletes” might be a good place to start since you said you have the funds to pay these.  When I started a few months ago I started with that and some agreed and some didn’t.  The ones that didn’t I was at least able to get them to accept less than what I really owed (in some cases about 50%).  With the ones I was able to settle then I’ve been continually sending goodwill letters in the hopes of getting some deleted after the fact.  I’ve actually had 2 drop off in the past 2.5 weeks.  (I think they got tired of hearing from me.  lol)

There's also a HIPPA process for getting medical bills deleted, etc.  I only had one medical bill and was able to work with them without going that far but I've read on here that it's very effective.  It can't be discussed here (I'm still not sure why) It cannot be discussed as its owner sent a letter to MF threatening a lawsuit if they didnt stop discussing it on this board as its copyrighted intellectual property .but if you Google it you'll be able to find info on it someplace else.

Every situation is different but like the last person said, be mindful of the SOL in your state before contacting anyone.

Message 11 of 18
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Hi Laguna. My advice may indeed not be popular and contradictory. But since you know the debts are valid and you have the means to pay I suggest you utlimately choose to pay your debts in full. Here's my reasoning:

1. From what I understand, even if you get a credit agency to remove a debt through DV that doesn't stop them from reselling the debt and it popping up with another CA [someone please correct me I am wrong]. You don't want to worry about a debt reappearing out of the blue!

2. If the CA does not agree to PFD (pay for delete) then it will look much better to an underwriter if your report says "PAID IN FULL" rather than "SETTLED". The underwriter will know that though you had financial difficulties you completely fulfilled your responsibilities. They will hestitate less at extending credit, in my opinion.

3. If your intent is to PIF you do not have to worry about a negative outcome of contacting the CA--they want their money, you want to pay. Mutually beneficial.

I have no knowledge of the HIPPA route so I cannot comment or advise on that. With that in mind:

1. Do ask for PFD first. Neogiate, sure, but don't try to play hardball--you have no levergage. You can ask, and if denied, call back a few days later and try again. Maybe try a third time. After the third, just ...

2. Pay. In full. But if possible do not use money orders. Use your checking account or credit card because if payment is "lost" these provide a safe and easier verification method of payment. As much as we vilify CA most are likley not crooks, just unethical in their attempts to get paid.

3. If you do not have a bank account use the money you will pay to the CA to first open a free checking account and then pay from there.

I think using the system to get out of our valid debts hurts us more than it helps us. Taking full responsibility now will perhaps give you a personal sense of accomplishment and knowledge that your debts are not insurmountable.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jasir - Goodness gracious! I had the exact same line of thought! I am very iffy about sending out validation letters on debts that I know are 100% valid. Thank you very much for replying. Your input somewhat cements how I am going to go about this. As you can tell, I am very ignorant and your input about the money order is ridiculously helpful. And you are right. I do not have a checking account. I use the alternative, which is the Bluebird by American Express (Walmart). It is capable of issuing check, so I believe I am fine with just that. 

-- Just a quick question for those who are familiar with HIPAA or medical debts in general. Would it be feasible to pay my debt to the OC (health care provider) instead of the CA's? And then ask the OC to rescind my account from the CA's? Has anyone ever done that?

-- I am also in the process of producing Goodwill Letters for my 2 other debts (CC from BoA and a cell phone bill) that are paid in full (paid 2 years ago) to be removed. Is this a harmless thing to do? Or would result in ugly consequences?

I know the info is out there, and I am sorry. I have multiple tabs open and trying to breathe in as much info as I can. Not to mention that I am taking a summer course (Intermediate Accounting, the irony, right..?)

A lot of thanks to everyone for their intelligent opinions and insights. I actually learned a lot this past whole day, especially the abbreviations and their uses. 

My plan now is to:

1. Ask for PFD, if no, PIF.

2. Utilize Goodwill Letters until they get tired of me.

3. Obtain a secured credit card (I have $8,000 saved up. $5,000 will go to my debts and $3,000 to a secured credit card.)

Message 13 of 18
eric19k
Established Contributor

Well if CA won't be able to validate and they sell it to another CA she will receive a notice before they will report to CB.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 14 of 18
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

@eric19k wrote:
Well if CA won't be able to validate and they sell it to another CA she will receive a notice before they will report to CB.

If debt is resold she is suppossed to get a notice before it gets reported on her files, true. But there have been instances where collections appeared on people's credit reports without initial reciept of a dunning notice. Beyond that, the main urge I was trying to convey is that she doesn't want the debt coming back in any fashion to hassle with--perhaps at a time when she isn't financially able to just pay it off.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 15 of 18
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

--  Would it be feasible to pay my debt to the OC (health care provider) instead of the CA's? And then ask the OC to rescind my account from the CA's? Has anyone ever done that?

-- I am also in the process of producing Goodwill Letters for my 2 other debts (CC from BoA and a cell phone bill) that are paid in full (paid 2 years ago) to be removed. Is this a harmless thing to do? Or would result in ugly consequences?

Goodwill letters should not result in ugly consequences on your paid off debts, to my knowledge. Just a "yes" or "no" about removing the tradeline.

I hope someone chimes in with some knowledge and/or experience paying the OC and having them call off the CA so as it remove the collection that way. I do believe it has been done under other circumstances but I don't know if they those instances were related to medical bills or not. I suggest calling the OC to ask them if they will do that. Can't imagine it'd hurt to ask at this point Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Jasir wrote:

@eric19k wrote:

If debt is resold she is suppossed to get a notice before it gets reported on her files, true. But there have been instances where collections appeared on people's credit reports without initial reciept of a dunning notice. Beyond that, the main urge I was trying to convey is that she doesn't want the debt coming back in any fashion to hassle with--perhaps at a time when she isn't financially able to just pay it off.

There's nothing that stops them or says they have to notify you with a dunning notice prior to posting to your CR.  The law states that within 5 days of contact or attempt to collect the debt, you must receive a dunning notice.  So, placing on your CR would be an attempt to collect the debt, so within 5 days after posting to your CR, by law you should receive the notice.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 17 of 18
sjt
Senior Contributor

I agree with @Jasir but keep in mind if the original creditor sold the debt to a JDB it would make no difference whether you pay the JDB a settlement or in full, as the original creditor washed their hands of the debt when they sold it. If they still own the debt, that's a different story.

also If the debt is out of your states SOL you have a lot of leverage. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.