Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debts expected to fall off this year

tag
RNOwens22

Debts expected to fall off this year

Hello everyone -

I am looking for some advice on 4 unpaid accounts that are scheduled to fall off of my credit report by August 2014.  I have the money to pay them; but, if I pay them will that make them stay on my credit report for another 7 years?

Also, I have seen some post about people calling the credit bureaus and asking for possible early deletions.  Can that be done with accounts that have yet to be paid or no?  If it can be done and then I pay the debt, will that put the item back on my credit report as a paid item?

Sorry for so many questions.  I am trying to rebuild but still somewhat confused with the actions that I need to take.  Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debts expected to fall off this year

@RNOwens22 wrote:

Hello everyone -

I am looking for some advice on 4 unpaid accounts that are scheduled to fall off of my credit report by August 2014.  I have the money to pay them; but, if I pay them will that make them stay on my credit report for another 7 years? No, they go by the DOFD of the account and it never changes once an account is COed

Also, I have seen some post about people calling the credit bureaus and asking for possible early deletions.  Can that be done with accounts that have yet to be paid or no? I would try nothing wrong with calling and asking

If it can be done and then I pay the debt, will that put the item back on my credit report as a paid item? Once they remove it from your file for being obsolete it normally would not show back up. Personally I would just wait for it to drop from your CRs then make offers to settle, you get more power every day it gets older. The reason I tell you to wait till its off is; if they have not updated recently and you pay them they are liable to update to paid collection status and this will drop your score. This close to drop off I would not poke the bear.

Sorry for so many questions.  I am trying to rebuild but still somewhat confused with the actions that I need to take.  Any help is appreciated.

Message 2 of 5
pointschaser
Established Member

You could wait until they fall off, or dispute online with each bureau.  I've done that a few times with some success.  I've noticed that in a few instances that mine actually fell off a month prior to when the account was scheduled to come off.  Either way, it hurts nothing to try to dispute.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 639
Current Score: My Fico: EQ 627, EX 652, TU 673 FAKO TU 701
Goal Score: 750 ALL!

Gardening until 04/2015 (hopefully!)

Take the myFICO Fitness
Message 3 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

We don't recommend disputing accurate information on these forums.  

Occasionally, it does have negative consequences, such as a lender updating an account with more negative information that wasn't there before.  Sometimes, just the fact that it prompts the lender to update will could cause a FICO drop since it will appear as a recently updated collection.  

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 5
RNOwens22

Thank you everyone!  I will try for the early removals and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, I will wait for them to drop off and then pay them.  Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.