Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default judgement

tag
Scjones2013
New Visitor

Default judgement

I checked my credit report and there is a default judgement in ohio from jan 2011. I moved to ga in oct 2010 and was never served a summons or any paperwork due to the fact I don't live in ohio. The attorneys that are handling the case don't have jurisdiction in my state.Any ideas of How I get the judgement removed from my credit report? I contacted both the lawyer handling the case and the credit card company and neither of them claim they are handling the case and just direct me to the both party. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Default judgement

Hi Scjones2013 and welcome to the forums!!! You would need to contact the court house and ask if it can be vacated. 

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 2 of 13
Scjones2013
New Visitor

Great! Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Check out the requirments for proper service of notice of the proceeding under the jurisdiction of the trial.

Prior to trial, they must have filed in the record how proper notice was served on the plaintiff.

Lack of proper service can be a basis for vacating the judgment, as it denied your right to show at trial and defend ther action.

Message 4 of 13
admise78
Established Member

Hi,

Where are you now in the process?  Is the default judgement still on your report?  I can offer advice on how to proceed in order to vacate judgement.  I just had defaul judgement vacated and remove from my credit report!

admise78

Message 5 of 13
Scjones2013
New Visitor

Re: Default judgment

Hi! That would be great. I filed a motion to vacate the judgment but I got it sent back because it said it didn't comply with Civ R 60B so im not sure what action to take now. Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 6 of 13
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@admise78 wrote:

Hi,

Where are you now in the process?  Is the default judgement still on your report?  I can offer advice on how to proceed in order to vacate judgement.  I just had defaul judgement vacated and remove from my credit report!

admise78

Depending on your state laws will determine if the judgement can be vacated or not.

DaBears

Message 7 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are generally two grounds for requesting vacature of a judgment.

The first is that there was some error in the judgment itself, such as lack of proper service of notice of the trial on the plaintiff, and the second is based on having satisfied the judgment. 

All states provide for motions to vacate based on actual error in the judgment, but usually require any such motion to be filed within a certain period after entry of the judgment.

It depends upon your state law and rules of civil procedure.  I suspect that my have been the basis for your dismissal, as approx two years has passed since the judgment was entered.  I assume the court notified you when the judgment was entered, and thus you may have been charged with bringing timely challenge of the judgment itself.

Some states additionally give their courts the discretion to vacate judgment once it has been satisfied as a means of relief to the consumer.

You need to check out your state law as to any dscretionary ability of the court to grant such relief.

Message 8 of 13
Hotspur
Established Member

You can't move to vacate in Ohio based on satisfaction for reasons I've explained in the past--or if such a motion is granted, it was not proper. BTW, I'm still not sold that vacating due to satisfaction is legitimate, anywhere. If any such motions are granted, it's done by stupid judges who don't know the law. Yes, there are stupid judges who don't know the law. That's why there are appeals courts. But hey you might get lucky. 

Also, it looks like you might be out of luck in any event, because there is generally a one-year statute of limitations to move to vacate judgments in Ohio. Also, you already moved to vacate and were denied. Puts you in a tough spot. You can either appeal that denial or you will have to make another motion. A second motion would likely be denied. 

Fighting a futile battle to correct the bad information about credit issues
Message 9 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would recommend that you consult an attorney versed in consumer law before accepting the opinion that motions to vacate based on payment of a judgment are improper, and cannot be granted as relief by a judge in your state.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.