Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred student loans killing my DTI

tag
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

Deferred student loans killing my DTI

I'm in Grad school and have about 3 years ahead of me.  I was denied for 2 secured credit cards, and when I called for recon I was told that my DTI is too high.  I said, I make over $36k annual, my rent is $875, my car is $200, and I have no other "real bills" so how can my DTI be too high?  I was told it does not matter that the student loans are in deferrment and scheduled to remain that way for the next 3 years, they are required by the government to be considered. 

Ok- so I can't improve my credit without credit cards, but they won't let me use my OWN money to secure a card because I will have to pay on student loans in 3 1/2 years?? 

Would somebody be willing to please just shoot me now?!?! Smiley Sad

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dmorey
Contributor

Re: Deferred student loans killing my DTI

I'm not one of the pros here, but worst case scenario maybe you could start with a secured card without a credit check? I was denied numerous secured cards a couple of months ago, but USAA approved me. Open Sky and a few others (maybe some credit unions too?) will open with no credit check. Digital Credit Union might be an option. Granted some of these have higher fees, but it's an option if you get stuck.

Message 2 of 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I think the DTI is suppose to be under 45%.  Kind of hard to know since no one knows your student loan balance.  My best suggestion is go sign up with a credit union, they might be more lenient to that, because they generally have a section on the application on why you are gettingt he loan/credit card.  If you state it is to rebuild credit, generally you will get the card, and they will overlook your deferred student loans.  I was told by a loan officer at my credit union they look at deferred student loans, but they calculate it differently.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 6
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

My student loan balance is $52,000.  The woman I spoke with today @ my credit union says that they use Elan to determine card approval/denial.  When I spoke with Elan underwriter, she said they understand that it sucks and that I am trying to rebuild, but the federal government mandates inclusion of deferred student loan debt.  Smiley Sad 

I was not aware that there were options to reecive secured without a HP.  I have called every bank and credit union in my local phonebook, even ones I don't have accounts with, and they all said they do the HP.  Two of my credit unions- White Sands Federal CU and First Light Federal CU both said no because of the high DTI.  But- both use Elan.  My husband and I are also with Navy Federal CU, but they told me when I called that they use Elan as well, so I figured I'd stay away from the extra HP!! Smiley Happy

Thanks to the both of you for the advice! Smiley Happy

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 4 of 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I owe more on my student loan than you and I dont make much more than you and my DTI is 32%. Then again you have a car loan.  I dont think it is only the student loan but a  combination of both.  Either pay down the car loan  or the student loan.  I would try to do this for the next six months.  Patience is the key.

Message 5 of 6
jadeite788
Established Contributor

just a little advice, or look at other cards that others suggested,

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.