Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deficiency Judgments concerning foreclosures

tag
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Deficiency Judgments concerning foreclosures

I realize each state has different rules for the lenders concerning a deficiency pursuit, but a general question:

Are the banks more likely to try to get a deficiency judgment right after the foreclosure (since they are already in court) or do they wait 6-8 months and then go back to the courts to get a judgment to pursue the owners?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dt3813
Regular Contributor

Re: Deficiency Judgments concerning foreclosures

i can only tell you that i had a house go through foreclosure in 2009 and I never received a dificiency judgement and my house sold for $150,000 less than what I owed.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ilzhoefer wrote:

I realize each state has different rules for the lenders concerning a deficiency pursuit, but a general question:

Are the banks more likely to try to get a deficiency judgment right after the foreclosure (since they are already in court) or do they wait 6-8 months and then go back to the courts to get a judgment to pursue the owners?

Do you know if you are in a recourse or non-recourse state?

Message 3 of 6
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

It's NC which some sites state it's a Non-recourse, but only in very specific circumstances, so in most cases it's a rescourse state. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In NC they cannot come after you if it was a specialized mortgage I.E. pick your rate, deferred interest, interest only on some months.....basically non-standard loans. The other loan that cannot be pursued for judgment is a purchase money mortgage where the seller finances you.

As far as the Statute of limitations goes, the bank has 1 year to bring action per NCGS §1-54(6)) and then 10 years to enforce the judgment.

Now, from the cases I looked up that are of record or affirmed on appeal, the "best" way to defend against the deficiency is to argue that the value of the home is a reflection of the bid down and that the property would in no way sell at the Sheriff Sale price in the current market.

Hope this helps,

AdCred1

Message 5 of 6
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. It was a regular loan.

It already foreclosed and I have 3 months until the one year is up.

Just waiting patiently.......

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.