Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed Charge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delayed Charge

In September of 2008, I made a purchase at a workshop. I took the product home and the company charged my cc three days later. For some reason, the cc company denied the charge but I was never notified. There was more than enough credit on the card to cover the charge. Now, a year and a half later, I received a letter from a collection agency. I contacted my cc company but they do not keep records that long. I have been unemployed for almost a year now and do not have the credit to cover this charge. Do I have any recourse? Shouldn't they have taken care of this in 2008? Why was it sent to a collection agency if they never contacted me about the denial?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Delayed Charge

@Anonymous wrote:

In September of 2008, I made a purchase at a workshop. I took the product home and the company charged my cc three days later. For some reason, the cc company denied the charge but I was never notified. There was more than enough credit on the card to cover the charge. Now, a year and a half later, I received a letter from a collection agency. I contacted my cc company but they do not keep records that long. I have been unemployed for almost a year now and do not have the credit to cover this charge. Do I have any recourse? Shouldn't they have taken care of this in 2008? Why was it sent to a collection agency if they never contacted me about the denial?

Hi Scorester!  First off, welcome to the forums!  This is a great place for some help with any credit issues.

Now...as for your problem.  You ask "shouldn't they (card co) have taken care of this in 2008?"  Well, yes, I suppose so, but you have to take some responsibility as well.  When you got the next cc bill you should have noticed it was not on the statement.  When it didn't show up on the next one, you needed to call the card company & the place where you made the purchase.  But that is all water under the bridge.  (consider this the "tough love" section of my post)

Is this collection being posted on your credit reports?  Is the original creditor posting anything too?

Who is the collection agency??  We may have heard of them & we know if they're friendly or not.

If you don't mind saying...how much do you owe them?

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.