Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete a hard inquiry?

tag
takethat
Valued Member

Delete a hard inquiry?

I recently applied for a loan, which resulted in a hard pull on my CR. Immediately after I applied online I called them up on the phone. It was only after they had pulled my credit that they let me know they must call my employer. Nowhere on the application did it say there would be any contact with my employer. Needless to say, I did not opt to continue with the application and now I have a hard inquiry all for nothing. Does anyone know if I can/should dispute this with the CBs? Thanks

Starting Score: EQ 618
Current Score: EQ 653, TU 674, EX 633
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Re: Delete a hard inquiry?

Unfortunately, you must have given them permission to hard pull your credit. Chances are the is no chance. I wouLd dispute it or send them a GW type letter. Maybe they will help.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Message 2 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@takethat wrote:

I recently applied for a loan, which resulted in a hard pull on my CR. Immediately after I applied online I called them up on the phone. It was only after they had pulled my credit that they let me know they must call my employer. Nowhere on the application did it say there would be any contact with my employer. Needless to say, I did not opt to continue with the application and now I have a hard inquiry all for nothing. Does anyone know if I can/should dispute this with the CBs? Thanks

First off its just an inq, and people overvalue inqs.

Secondly, do NOT dispute it. This will likely cause a fraud alert on your file. You applied for the loan, you will have to take the hit.

The GW is possible, but many times than not, THEY will report a fraud alert to the CRAs, even though they aren't supposed to.

It isn't worth the battle in my eyes.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to the FA.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It's legit.  Your initiation of a request for credit gave arise to their permissible purpose.

Message 5 of 8
takethat
Valued Member

Ok thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to suck it up! The good news is I have about 3 other inquiries from 2010 that are scheduled to fall off in Oct and Nov.

Starting Score: EQ 618
Current Score: EQ 653, TU 674, EX 633
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, you can always try writing the creditor.

Message 7 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

@takethat wrote:

Ok thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to suck it up! The good news is I have about 3 other inquiries from 2010 that are scheduled to fall off in Oct and Nov.

They only count for 1 year FICO score wise.  They can remain on your CR for 2 years.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.