Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted collection account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted collection account

Hi I was hoping for a little insight. After disputing a collection account on my credit reports I got them removed about 2 months ago. I was so relieved as the collection agency was a nightmare to communicate with and I had asked them to verify the info and I wanted to disput it as it was a red light ticket in a state that I do not live in and they would not help me at all. I am buying a house very soon and this made my score go up about 40 points. I just got a call from the collection agency for the first time ever today. previous to this I had called them because of a letter that I received at my new address. They were requesting the payment and I said I would call them back. Can they put this collection back on my account? Do they know that I have disputed it? I am so confused as to how I should proceed. Thanks so much

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Deleted collection account

When any information is disputed and verification of its accuracy is not provided within the dispute period, the CRA is compelled to delete the disputed information.

Apparently, the debt collector failed to verify back to the CRA, and thus the CRA deleted for inability to verify its accuracy.

Deletion based on lack of verification is not absolute.  The party can, at a later time, still provide verification.  However, if deleted on the basis of lack of verification in a prior dispute, any attempt to reinsert the information was be accompanied by a certification of its accuracy as a pre-condition for any CRA reinsertion.  FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

If their reporting includes a pre-certification of its accuracy, and the CRA accepts that certification and reinserts the collection, the CRA is required to send you notice to that effect within 5 business days.  So you will at least have prompt notice if reinsertion occurs. 

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Deleted collection account

Plus there's the problem of them selling it to another CA and start all over.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.