tag
Candikane
New Contributor

Deleted

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where to start with rebuilding, after life-changing injuries.

If you have the funds.. I would start with Pay for delete, maybe even mix in a goodwill letter to let the creditors know of your situation. Also, start with the newest bills/lenders, and then work your way back. The store cards will be good for utilization/credit points, but don't stress if those are out, it matters more that you can get regular credit cards / have that reporting.

You can do it! It may seem like alot now, but six months from now you'll be amazed at the progress you've made.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where to start with rebuilding, after life-changing injuries.

@Candikane wrote:
Hi all, I was in the process of rebuilding and then had a head injury that left me permanently disabled, unable to work, and therefore unable to pay bills for years..... my credit is destroyed.

I have no idea where to start with rebuilding. Write letters? Pay on accounts?

I have a recent civil judgement from portfolio recovery, and 3 accounts with them (including the judgement one). I also have numerous store cards. Pretty much everything is charged off with a drop off dates of 2020... a few are 2018/2019.

I have one with Midland as well, whom I read is a nightmare Smiley Sad

I'm able to pay a few of the lower store cards.... target, kohls.... but should I do that right away or write a letter first? Go for deletion, or settlement? I'm so overwhelmed!!!

In your case, assuming you are on disability, I would not even worry about the stuff thats with the Junk Debt Buyers - Portfolio, Midland, etc. Just send them a letter stating you are permanently disabled and unable to pay them and to stop communicating with you. Any charged off credit cards that show a balance by the OC are the only ones I would consider paying - those hurt scores the worst.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.