Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletion letter from Portfolio Recovery

tag
pmatt1
Valued Member

Deletion letter from Portfolio Recovery

I received a letter from Portfolio Recovery that they would remove their entry from all 3 credit files. However,Equifax will not remove the file. I called them and started a dispute and today they answered that the info had been verified. I explained when I called that I have the letter from Portfolio and can fax it to them, the agent told me that would not be necessary. Transunion and Experian have already removed the entry. What can I do to have Equifax remove it too?

Starting Score: 518
Current Score: EQ 612(Lender Pull) TU585EX 584 null)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Deletion letter from Portfolio Recovery

Well, technically, it's against the written agreement for the customer (Portfolio Recovery) to delete based on payment of the debt. You won't get any love from the CRA on that one. I'd just get back in touch with Portfolio Recovery and ask them to resubmit the removal of their TL from EQ as it didn't go through, apparently.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 2 of 21
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

You dont want to get the CRA involved in a dispute over their failure to delete based on your payment of the debt.  As was said, this is directly contrary to the CRAs written policy in both their standardized credit reporting manual and in their reporting agreements. 

When the furnisher reports a deletion to the CRA, they dont have to provide a reason.  So the CRA is not involved in questioning the deletion.

However, when a consumer contacts the CRA and provides as a reason failure to delete based on an agreement with the credtior/debt collector, it invariably raises the issue of the why they agreed to delete...... that the debt has been paid.  So the consumer is asking the CRA to delete based on a reason that is directly contrary to their policy.

Get the party who reported the information to report a simple deletion to the CRA, and the issue is not raised. 

Message 3 of 21
annielorie
Valued Contributor

+10

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 4 of 21
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

The OP didn't say that it was a PFD - he just stated that he received a delete letter.  I also received a delete letter from Portfolio Recovery.  I never paid them - I just threatened to sue, and they said they'd delete.  So the OP's letter might not reference any sort of payment.

In any event, as others have said, it might be best to go through Portfolio Recovery and ask them to re-submit.  But it might just be a matter of timing.  How long ago did you receive the letter?

Message 5 of 21
pmatt1
Valued Member

You're correct. The letter doesn't state anything about a PFD. However, I did negotiate a PFD over the phone. The letter just states that the request was made for this item to be removed. I received the letter in December.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you give me some tips because I sent Portfolio a letter but they never responded and currently I have Lexington but its been about a year and they are still harassing me with nonstop phone calls.
Message 7 of 21
pmatt1
Valued Member

Thought I should give everyone an update and maybe a tip for someone else. I still have had no luck with Equifax removing this item from my report, so I emailed Portfolio on Monday and then followed up with a phone call today. They re-issued the UDF to have the item removed and even gave me the control number that is used with each of the reporting agencies. Hopefully this will help others that are dealing with the same situation.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the letter sent to a particular person or was it sent to general address and portfolio dispute center?
Message 9 of 21
pmatt1
Valued Member

It was sent to a general address and also to the Portfolio Dispute Center on their website.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.