cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Department of Veteran's Affairs - Email Address for Collection Removal?

tag
bartoe
New Contributor

Department of Veteran's Affairs - Email Address for Collection Removal?

I know I have asked this before, but I'm hoping that if new members have joined, someone may be able to help me.

DH was in the Navy and had full usage of the GI BIll.

While him and his ex-wife did a short sale and changed their address, updated it with the VA and HAD their mail forwarded from their prior address and yet they were never notified that the VA had overpaid his school until he went to apply for his benefits the next semester.  He has two collections/charge-off's that have been reported on his credit report since 2012.  

The problem becomes that *IF* he's denied credit (which he rarely is but he also hasn't applied for anything lately) sometimes some companies come back and say serious deliquences and other issues, when infact he's current on everything and has had positive pay history, with the exception of the two collections from the VA Department.

I sent a certified goodwill letter to the VA department w/no response and its been over two months.

Anyone know if any emails that I can use to email them AND our states representative?  I'm hoping that would help as well

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Department of Veteran's Affairs - Email Address for Collection Removal?

Best way to contact your Congressional Representatives is to look on House.gov and Senate.gov for your state's members. These sites will link you to their official sites and you can contact them through email forms.

Just a hint though, look for their in-state "district office" info and contact that office directly for Veteran's issues. District offices take care of specific issues, such as VA, the DC office deals with legislation and tour requests and will refer your contact to their district office which slows everything down a bit.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dh has two paid collections from Dept of Veteran's Affairs on his reports.  I sent a letter to the address on the credit reports.  No go.  I haven't read any instance of getting those removed through the VA so you might want to try your representative.  

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Dh has two paid collections from Dept of Veteran's Affairs on his reports.  I sent a letter to the address on the credit reports.  No go.  I haven't read any instance of getting those removed through the VA so you might want to try your representative.  

Oh man, this VA stuff really just chaps my hide. I can understand them putting it on your reports if it remains unpaid for a certain amount of time - BUT DAMN IT, THEY MADE THE ERROR! Once its paid they should voluntarily DELETE IT. Vets should NOT have to come home and fight this kind of CRAP that came about as a result of the VA's error in the first place.

/end rant 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.