cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dept Store Cards in the store - SP or HP?

tag
DSFA
Established Member

Dept Store Cards in the store - SP or HP?

When applying for a card at the register in a store such as Macy's etc., do they do a SP or a HP? I still can't get the shopping cart trick pop up to pop up, so figured I'd give it a shot at the register as long as it's not a HP.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dept Store Cards in the store - SP or HP?

Any request initiated by a consumer for credit gives the creditor permissible purpose to pull your credit report without any further authorization from the consumer.

Consumer-initiated requests for credit can always be hard.

It is at the discretion of the creditor to get coded as soft.

Message 2 of 5
DSFA
Established Member

Thank you for the answer and while I understand what you're saying, that really doesn't help much. For example, it's been stated over and over that Fingerhut does a soft pull. The shopping cart trick does a soft pull. Is there no way to know in advance if Macy's or Kohls or Target is going to do a SP or a HP? 

I know they can do a HP, I'm wondering if they will.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The forum is filled with posts by consumers who are promised at the cash register that no inquiry will be made or posted to their credit report, only to then see a hard inquiry.

I dont think you will get a definitive answer without running the risk.

Message 4 of 5
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

RobertEG is right. I was at Costco and they offered me the Amex. They swore it would only be a SP but then I got a SW alert about a new inquiry. I think when they say that they will start w/ A SP but will HP if they want to get you approved. 

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.