Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dept of Ed / Nelnet Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dept of Ed / Nelnet Reporting

I am currently a junior in college.  When I pulled my recent credit report, I noticed that Dept of Ed / Nelnet is reporting my student loans individually.  I am getting two new loans every semester (on subsidized, one unsubsidized).  Each one of these two per semester is showing up on my credit report as a separate installment account.  Isn't this killing my score by greatly lowering my AAoA?  I have 2 accounts that are 2 years old, but about 8 that are less than a year old.  It would seem that as I finish college, it will just keep getting worse.  Is there anything I can do to get these to show up together?  Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Dept of Ed / Nelnet Reporting

Unfortunately, this is typical for student loans, and I feel your pain.

Think about it this way: Once you start repaying those loans--assuming you are always on-time with your payments--those are going to be a gazillion good tradelines on your credit report for you and, as they age, will boost your AAoA to the point where it will barely budge when you add a new account or any other older accounts fall off.

In the meantime, if the AAoA causes any adverse action against you when you apply for credit, you can always recon and explain that the loans are keeping the age down right now. It's easier to reason with a human than with a computer who makes the "first call" on most credit applications.

Good luck!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.