Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dept of Veterans Affairs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dept of Veterans Affairs

In 2011 I was discharged (Honorably) from the military. When you get discharged you have the option of having the military ship your personal belongings to your home of record or you can receive a payment and move it yourself. Evidentally the VA overpaid me by about $950. I didn't kow this until I received a notice stating that they were going to recover the overpayment via my tax returns for that year. They took the money and I thought that was that.

Well, on Sept 1, 2017 my credit reports updated to show that I had a "charge off" and "collections" from the VA. It states that it was paid AFTER being in collections. They took the money around Jan-Feb. 2013 which was about 2 months after I received notice of the overpayment.

I've disputed this, but to no avail. Any advice? Anyone have something similar happen to them?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dept of Veterans Affairs

I would start by asking the Credit Bureau who is the Data Furnisher of their information. Then contact them to try to work it out maybe. And/ or contact a Veterans  Advocate to seek help from them. Good luck. 

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If charged-off and pursued only by internal collection, then the account is reporting only as a charge-off, and not as a third party debt collector.

Thus, it is likely being scored only as a charge-off, and NOT as a debt collector reporting a collection.

I presume only the OC account is reporting, and not a third-party debt collector?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sucks sorry to hear that but you know how the military works, they are slow to take care of you but fast to penalize you. I fear this is one battle you won't be able to win with simple disputes.

I think you will have to plead your case through a good will campaign and see if that gets someone to recognize the mistake and remove the collection. It may take some time but that is all you have right now and it's worth a shot. Thank you for your service. Dv
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.