cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derrogotory Mark Just Realized

tag
aclizbe

Derrogotory Mark Just Realized

I have a derrogtory mark on my credit. I'm not sure what it is for, but I know I didn't open this account (fraud) and it's old. DoFD was in November 2006. It's a pretty small amount ($378), but I can see that it affects my credit score quite a bit seeing as it is almost 7 years old. Coincidently, my Transunion report states that it will be removed in November 2016. Does that mean that it will no longer be reported at all after November, or will it show up in another way on my credit report/score? Is it worth my time (seeing as it's nearly September) to fight to have this charge removed from my record?  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Derrogotory Mark Just Realized

Removal date of November 2016???  Or 2013.

I would file and FTC Fraud Affidavit and police report and send them to the CRAs and ask them to block that account.  http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/resources/forms/affidavit.pdf

Once it is excluded it would not show up again but if they are reporting it as yours then it could come back to haunt you in the future. 

Also send those forms to the OC.

Message 2 of 9
ABuckNow
Contributor

Was the account closed at the same time as the DoFD?

The derog shouldn't be reported past 7 years of the DoFD, however, the account itself can be reported for up to 10 years past the date it was closed.

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are willing to put your "account not mine" assertion into the form of a police report, there is no "fighting" necessary in order to get the reporting blocked from your credit report.  Simply send the police report to the CRA, and they must blodk further inclusion in your credit report.  No need to "prove" the assertion, and no need for any approval by the creditor of the blocking.  FCRA 605B.

To resolve the factual accuracy of whether or not the account/debt is yours requires a bit more.  You can send a copy of the polcie report to the creditor, and rquest they provide you all business records pertaining to the account.  FCRA 609(e).

That gives you documenation as a start in fighting the actual assertioh that you authorized the account.

Well worth pursuing, even after credit report blocking or exclusion, as until resolved, you will always have a lingering issue of someone out there asserting an unpaid,delinquent debt.

Message 4 of 9
aclizbe

It appears to be a medical claim. I'm not clear that is something open or closed. Again my transunion report says this mark will be removed on 11 of 2013. (Not 16 sorry) is it worth the hassle to make a fraud claim or can I just let it fall off my report? Will it actually be removed?
Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would definitely file the reports.  As I said earlier, unpaid debt does not go away, whether it is yours or not.  Providing them with these forms will clearly show it is not yours,

Message 6 of 9
aclizbe

So what does the removal date mean?
Message 7 of 9
aclizbe

What happens if for some reason the claim of fraud doesn't stick and they still want payment so I pay it, again its small, does that reset the clock on its removal?
Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, nothing restarts the reporting date.  Once it is excluded it is excluded.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.