cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperately Need Help with one remaining bad account

tag
KevCham11

Desperately Need Help with one remaining bad account

I just have one question.  I have one account left that I have been unsuccessful at resolving.  I have wrote letters to original creditor requesting a settlement offer that has gone ignored.  I then requested to resolve the outstanding account but I was told that they can't accept payment on the account, but they continue to update the account every month with a balance.  What options do I have?  Can they not accept payment but continue to update the account ?  Any help would or direction to go would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jmack711
Regular Contributor

Re: Desperately Need Help with one remaining bad account

Has the account been placed with a collection agency (CA)? If the original creditor (OC)sold the account to a collection agency then no they can't accept payment but can still report the balance owed on your credit report. Contact the OC and ask who owns the account and that is who you would try to settle with. The worse case scenario is the account is with a collection agency and you can settle with them and then you may have to goodwill the OC to see if they will delete the account.

Message 2 of 4
KevCham11

No the account has not been placed with a collection agency.  It is still with the original creditor.  I guess I should tell the whole story.  It was never my intention to become delinquent on this account it was a buy here pay here car lot.  I changed insurance agencies but kept the coverage I was told I needed.  Small town so I did not get the insurance from their friend or family member so they decided to no longer accept my payments and immediately reported it late to the credit bureau.  I have tried talking to them, sending letters.  I was young and had to much pride to ask for help with the situation then so I got taken advantage of.    

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@jmack711 wrote:

Has the account been placed with a collection agency (CA)? If the original creditor (OC)sold the account to a collection agency then no they can't accept payment but can still report the balance owed on your credit report. Contact the OC and ask who owns the account and that is who you would try to settle with. The worse case scenario is the account is with a collection agency and you can settle with them and then you may have to goodwill the OC to see if they will delete the account.

No, they cannot.  If they sold the debt to the CA then the account must show a 0 balance and be closed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.