Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperately Seeking Advice

tag
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Desperately Seeking Advice

Do I need to do anything to get them deleted or do they just report included in bankruptsy?  I have many collection accounts that are still reporting a balance without indicating that it is included in bankruptsy?

Thnx in advance for the advice...I want your scores LOL!

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Including in bk and deletion are two different things, I have found that getting CA deleted to be easier than getting the OC to place an account "included in BK", If you want to delete you have to send the CRA a deletion letter, BUT if a creditor refuses to "include in BK" I have a KILLER deletion letter, I think they chose to not "include in BK" because later they will try to collect money from you....this has happened to me more than I can count even though it is against the law...

It is so important to know your rights as a consumer, attached is some information on how you can sue if the OC or the CRA gives you issues, one thing to remember they all know the law, but sometimes it takes us the consumer to know it too!!!  When you are filing a dispute with the OC or the CRA in your deletion letter it is a good idea to include the legal language...that seems to really get their attention...it is illegal for them NOT to report ACCURATE information...that would include the accounts listed BK...

So Who Can You Sue and What Can You Sue For?

WhoWhyPrecedent/LawFine
Creditors if they report your credit history inaccuratelyDefamation, financial injuryUS Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, No. 00-15946, Nelson vs. Chase ManhattanExtent of damages incurred by the wronged party as deemed by the courts
Creditors, if you dispute a debt, and they fail to report it as disputed to the credit bureausProtection under the FCRAFCRA
Section 623.
$1,000
Creditors if they pull your credit file without permissible purposeInjury to your credit report and credit scoreFCRA Section 604 (A)(3)$1,000
Credit bureaus if they refuse to correct information after being provided proofDefamation, willful injury

FCRA Section 623

CUSHMAN, v. TRANS UNION CORPORATION US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Court Case 115 F.3d 220
June 9, 1997, Filed  (D.C. No. 95-cv-01743).

Extent of damages incurred by the wronged party, as deemed by the courts
Credit bureaus if they reinsert a removed item from your credit report without notifying you in writing within 5 business days.Consumer protection afforded by the FCRAFCRA Part (A)(5)(B)(ii)$1,000
Credit bureaus if they fail to respond to your written disputes within 30 days (a 15 day extension may be granted if they receive information from the creditor within the first 30 days)Consumer protection afforded by the FCRAFCRA Section 611 Part (A)(1)$1,000
Collection Agency can NOT be BOTH
purchaser and 'assignee'
it's one or the other
Protection under the FDCPAGearing v. Check Brokerage Corp
233 F.3d 469 (7th Cir. 2000)
$1000
Misrepresentations by the collector about
themselves or the debt
are actionable regardless
of intent
Protection under the FDCPAGearing v. Check Brokerage Corp
Cacace v. Lucas, 775 F. Supp. 502, 505 (D. Conn. 1990)
$1000
Creditors or collection agencies, and credit bureaus if they try and “Re-age” your account by updating the date of last activity on your credit report in the hopes of keeping negative information on your account longerConsumer protection afforded by the FCRAFCRA Section 605
(c) Running of the reporting period
$1,000
If you dispute a debt, the collection agency fails to report it disputed to the credit bureausProtection under the FDCPAFDCPA
Section 807(8)
$1,000
Collection agencies if they do not validate your debt yet continue to pursue collection activity (file for judgments, call or write you)Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPA

FDCPA
Section 809 (b),

FTC opinion letter Cass from LeFevre

$1,000
Collection agencies if you have sent them a cease and desist letter and they still call youConsumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA
Section 805 (c)
$1,000
Collection agencies if they have not validated your debt and they still continue to report to the credit bureausConsumer protection afforded by the FDCPA

FDCPA Section 809 (b),

FTC opinion letter Cass from LeFevre

$1,000
Collection agencies if they: - Cash a post-dated check before the date on the check
- Cost you money by making you accept collect calls or COD mail
- Take or threaten to take any personal property without a judgment
Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA 808 Section$1,000
If a collector calls you after 9 PM at night or before 8 AMConsumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA  Section 805. (a)(1)$1,000
Calls you at your place of employment if the debt collector knows or has reason to know that your employer prohibits the consumer from receiving such communication.Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA Section 805. (a)(3)$1,000
Calls any third part about your debt like friends, neighbors, relatives, etc.  However they can contact your attorney, a consumer reporting agency, the creditor, the attorney of the creditor, or the attorney of the debt collector. Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA Section 805. (b)$1,000
The collection agency can not use any kind of harassment or abuse**Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA Section 806$1,000
Collector cannot claim to garnish your wages, seize property or have you arrested ***Consumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA Section 807$1,000
Collector must you in a county in which you lived when you signed the original contract for the debt or where you live at the time when they file the lawsuitConsumer protection afforded by the FDCPAFDCPA Section 811 (a) (2)$1,000

Also a good grounds for getting a judgment vacated

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as my scores as you can see from my fitness challage I was not far from you...Keep in mind my starting score was from March 9,2011 can you believe that??? this month I pulled my current score...I did this using my cc wisely leaving minimum balances of like $5 or $10, but also cleaning my report like you are doing now!!!  ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!  You just cant get discouraged!!!!

Message 13 of 29
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

WOW, great info...THANKS!!!!  Do you have a copy of the deletion letter you utilized during this process?

Message 14 of 29
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Creditors or collection agencies, and credit bureaus if they try and “Re-age” your account by updating the date of last activity on your credit report in the hopes of keeping negative information on your account longerConsumer protection afforded by the FCRAFCRA Section 605
(c) Running of the reporting period
$1,000

Updating the DOLA will not make it stay on your report longer.  And there is nothing illegal about this changing.

It is the DoFD that cannot be changed.  This is what the FCRA is referring to.

Message 15 of 29
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Since March...wow...im impressed...

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do it too!!!!  Check your PM....

Message 17 of 29
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

as you start rebuilding i would also suggest you opt-out.i also took it a step further and put security freezes on my cr.that kept all those ca from hitting me with perm. purpose inq. i think they just took a hike period because 3 very stubborn ca just deleted from my cr altogether. 

i went with 2 cc immediately after bk. orchard and credit 1. i read that lenders want to see more than 1 reestablished tradeline for mortgage purposes. 

my bk discharged aug 2009 and as of today my eq fico is 681. it would be higher but i am carrying a balance larger than i should. (def no-no)

once i pay that down to 1% i should see max scoring.

so you can rebound slowly. when i 1st joined my scores were 505/519 

i havent pulled my tu yet. i am still sticker shocked by the $20 fee. i will bite the bullet as i have learned that my fico is the only place i can get my tu fico score

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Message 18 of 29
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

A mortgage is my goal.  I have a Orchard bank card and am an authorized user on my sisters Discover, should I get another card?

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get one more card and if you don't already have one an installment loan...a car note or student loan....even if you take out a small personal loan showing a consistent payment history will help the only thing is beware the interest will be high, BUT you will be able to refinance when your credit improves!!!!

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.