Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining Date of Default?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Determining Date of Default?

@Anonymous wrote:

Another way is to simply look at the past payment history reported. Look for the first 30 days late leading to further lates and charge-off. That's going to be approx the DOFD. Alternatively, look for the date of last payment made on the account / check your old cc statements, and add two months to that for a conservative estimate of the DOFD.

Note the DOFD used for credit reporting purposes, while often pretty close, may not be exactly the DOFD used for determining start of statue of limitations (SOL). Many creditors will just go by whatever DOFD CRAs have on file, but sometimes a creditor will use the CO date or some other date after DOFD. Then there are zombie debt collectors who play by their own rules, but most don't bother suing, since that costs too much for what they paid for the debt, which is often pennies or even less down to zero, but I digress.

If an account is brought current, does that restart the cycle?  I had some 30/60 day lates, brought an account current, and then went back into delinqunecy leading to the Charge-Off.  Which date would they use?  The one leading to C/O or the very first 30 day late?  Any idea?

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Another way is to simply look at the past payment history reported. Look for the first 30 days late leading to further lates and charge-off. That's going to be approx the DOFD. Alternatively, look for the date of last payment made on the account / check your old cc statements, and add two months to that for a conservative estimate of the DOFD.

Note the DOFD used for credit reporting purposes, while often pretty close, may not be exactly the DOFD used for determining start of statue of limitations (SOL). Many creditors will just go by whatever DOFD CRAs have on file, but sometimes a creditor will use the CO date or some other date after DOFD. Then there are zombie debt collectors who play by their own rules, but most don't bother suing, since that costs too much for what they paid for the debt, which is often pennies or even less down to zero, but I digress.

If an account is brought current, does that restart the cycle?  I had some 30/60 day lates, brought an account current, and then went back into delinqunecy leading to the Charge-Off.  Which date would they use?  The one leading to C/O or the very first 30 day late?  Any idea?

The one leading to a CO is the DoFD, not the earlier ones.

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Norman.  Always there with a quick answer!  Much appreciated.

@Anonymous wrote:

The one leading to a CO is the DoFD, not the earlier ones.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.