Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did CA violate FDCPA?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Did CA violate FDCPA?

I received a dunning notice from a CA about 2 months ago. I sent back a DV letter, in the last paragraph I stated a cease and desist to all contact, and requested no contact be made with my family about the debt as well. I havent heard from them since.

They sent my mom a letter a couple of weeks ago, as she was the co-signer on the loan, offering a settlement. Stating their attempt to collect.

Would I be right, in assuming either A) I cant request cease and desist for someone else, and/or B) because she was on the loan and didnt mail anything herself, they have the right to contact her.

Not a big deal, she sent them the same DV letter I did, but I was just wondering about this scenario.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Did CA violate FDCPA?

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

Would I be right, in assuming either A) I cant request cease and desist for someone else, and/or B) because she was on the loan and didnt mail anything herself, they have the right to contact her.

Yes, that is my take on it as well.   Your C&D applies for you only, not for other co~signers on the debt/account.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

Yes, that is my take on it as well.   Your C&D applies for you only, not for other co~signers on the debt/account.  

Correct, no violation.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, I see a potential violation.

Your cease communication insertion into the DV was, providing the DV was timely, both unnecessary and of less impact than your DV.

Cease communication requests under FDCPA 805(c) are less comprehensive than a DV.  A DV imposes a total cease collection bar.

That requires cessation of all collection activity, including any communications with parties asserted to be responsible for the debt.

Was your DV timely?  If so, their communication would be a violation of FDCPA 809(b).

Message 4 of 7
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I sent it the day I received first communication from them via telephone. No letters had ever been received, until two months afterwards. Im not sure what is legally timely?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An  untimely DV is one sent more than 30-days after receipt of dunning notice.

A timely DV is one sent either prior to receipt of dunning notice, or within 30 days of its receipt.

Message 6 of 7
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Then this should be timely. I never received a letter, just a phone call my mother received and she referred them to contact me. They called, I sent DV, they mailed her a letter a couple of months later. Its not on my credit reports, and they have yet to verify the debt, so for now Im ok. Was just wondering about this because it seemed like a gray area.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.