Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did GW do more harm?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did GW do more harm?

I thought I had a semi-successful GW, until I saw the score drop and realized I may have done more harm. Need some advice from all of you.

Here's the story:

This is an account that I had from 2011-2012. I made all my payments via auto-pay, but when I delete my account in 04/2012, it appears that the auto-pay was deleted and the statement was sent to my old address. When I checked my credit score in 2013, I found this, and paid in full to the original creditor. However, as a result my TL got 12 "failed-to-pay" remarks on it as a result. 

Fast forward to 2015, I called the company up and asked if they can remove the TL. Instead, they offered to remove all but 1 late payments from my TL, and leave me with just 1 "failed to pay". I thought this would be a net-win, after all - it's a matter of having 1 vs 12 late/"failed-to-pay". But guess what - my score dropped 5 points after the 11 other "failed to pay" were added! I think this is the culprit: the "last late payment date" is now updated to 2013, which was the date I paid in full. Previously it was backdated to the first late payment in 2012.

Mighty rebuilding forum - Is there anything I should do now, e.g. ask them to backdate it to 2012? Any idea why removing the late payments didn't do anything here? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did GW do more harm?

bumping (only will do this once) to see if there's any feedback on this.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you asked them to remove all and they said they would leave one?  Was this the latest one?   And you PIF?  So maybe this is the new start date? Not sure about these things other than what I read on here.  But my take would be that they erased all the older ones and left the newer one.  Maybe this makes it look newer since the time starts on your first late payment?  You would need the experts on this for sure.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Yes I PIF and they left the last payment date as the only item on my CR.

is that common? Becuase shows that my last late payment is now 1.5 year old, rather than 2.5+ year old.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say that and the fact that a collection recently updated.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.