Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just mess up my progress?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Did I just mess up my progress?

Hi all,

So a little back round: I had 5 SLs in default, double reporting from Citibank and Sallie Mae; 120+ lates, in each one. They've since been rehabbed, status changed to paid/closed, and the new servicer Nelnet set 5 separate TLs, backdated to 2008. The last 120+ marks from those original TLs are from Febuary 2012.

So in 2013, I started to rebuild by obtaining three Capital One cards:

March 2013

Septermber 2013

November 2013

So it's aged for about a year (the first one) and almost 6 months for the last two. 

This month, I brought my utilization down to 0% (they haven't updated yet.)

I thought to help rebuild, I'd need to add more positive TLs to my account, so I applied and got approved for Care Credit ($2,000 limit), Sony Via ($500), Kohls ($300), Discover It ($200), and they were all opened this month.

Did I kill what points I would have earned by lowering my utilization and having those original three accounts age past 6 months?

I thought the more positive TLs I added, the better it would look in the future, but now I feel like I did the opposite by opening too many accounts at once, lowering my AAOA.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!! (I'm unfortunately at 600 right now, before my balances updated from 80% to 0%)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did I just mess up my progress?

Adding the new TLs is a necessary evil.  You do take an initial hit because of the lowered AAoA, but you will need those new TLs to thicken your file and allow your scores to grow.  Now it's just time to garden for awhile, your scores will grow accordingly.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.