cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just receive a Goodwill Adjustment?

tag
cakkd
Contributor

Did I just receive a Goodwill Adjustment?

Background information: Because of getting my tax assessment bumped majorly and being a state employee (i.e. no raises the past four years), I've been 30 days late on my mortgage eight times in the past year and a half. (I recently got a new job and rented the place out as solutions.) The company that services my mortgage is small to medium sized; it's main or sole business is servicing the mortgages that used my state's new homebuyer credit.

Anyway, my mortgage was reported late for June to Equifax, even though I'd mailed the payment on time. I called the mortgage company a couple of days ago, to explain the matter, and was very polite. It turns out the quite friendly CSR who answered is also the one who sends the reports to the CRAs. He said it was a mistake and he would resend.

I checked my Credit Karma score today, and my Vantage score has gone up by 71 points. After learning this, I pulled my TU and EXP reports. They are now showing on-time payments for the mortgage for June (the month in question), July, and August, which is accurate. Before June, it's showing no payments of any sort (i.e. no "okay" and no "30 days late.") In essence, the bump was the result of my mortgage no longer showing recent late payments.

So my question: Is this just a temporary bump due to some glitch, or did the CSR show me a random act of kindness?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Starting scores (June 9,2012): 591(TU), 582(EXP), 591(EQUI)
Current score: 721 (Discover Fico)
Goal scores: 761 across the board
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did I just receive a Goodwill Adjustment?

If the late is gone from your CR(s), then success!

Message 2 of 6
cakkd
Contributor

Thanks, llecs. I hope it holds. 

I also hope when I apply for a refi on my mortgage next year the fact that it doesn't show any payments, good or ill, from before May of this year doesn't throw up a red flag.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Probably not. The tri-merge reports zero in on the bad history and ignore the good. Also, some creditors might go months without reporting or remove the "OKs" from reporting after a period of time. I have a couple that do that for some reason.

Message 4 of 6
cakkd
Contributor

llecs -- I'm nt sure I understand. Do you mean "probably not" that I didn't receive a Goodwill adjustment? 

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No, "probably not" to your question/statement on whether the absence of payment history would be a red flag. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.