Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I mess up … collection account on my CR {Update}

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I mess up … collection account on my CR {Update}

So - in looking at my credit reports, I noticed a small collection on my account (within the last year, almost to the date).  As soon as I saw it, I called the original biller and paid the debt.  I HONESTLY did not even realize that there was an outstanding balance that had been turned over to collections.  I had even visited this healthcare provider since then, with abssolutely not mention of this!  

In any event, when I called to make the payment, I let them know that I was interested in having it removed from my CR.  The person that took my payment indicated that she was calling the collection agency, as soon as we were done, to have them remove it.  In actuality, what happened is that the account was marked as 'paid in full' and 'closed'.  As I understand it, this does nothing to help my FICO score under the FICO 8 model.  It is the same, regardless.

So, my question is - did I mess up in paying the original creditor - rather than the collection agency (and working out a PFD with them)??  Is it likely that I can get this removed from my reports??

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Re: Did I mess up … collection account on my CR

Sometimes, but not always, it shows as paid/closed on the first month, then deletes on the second. 

While it won't help your score, in the eyes of an underwriter, a paid collection is always better than an unpaid. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - I will give it til next month, to see if it changes on my report. 

Oddly, I was looking at the dispute options in EQ (not because I want to dispute this account, it IS valid and I recognize and accept that!!), and - while I see it on my CK report as a 'closed' / 'paid in full' account, it isn't showing up in the list of items that I *could* dispute.... Hmmm, maybe it is just my CK that is 'off' (even though it updated today)?    I'm sure stranger things have happened  ... lol

Message 3 of 10
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Did you pay the doctors office directly? I would of had them recall it, wait for it to dissapear then pay the OC.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I did pay the doctor's office directly, which is what has me worried.  The primary reason I paid them directly is b/c this is a doctor that my family continues to go to - and, while they never mentioned anything outstanding to me in the last year - I wanted to be sure that I was in good standing with them.  

I did not think, at the time, that they wouldn't be able to get it removed from my CR - as they indicated that they would.  Foolish on my part, I'm sure... live and learn, I guess.  I will keep trying to get the collections company to remove it, if it remains after a month.

Thanks!!

Message 5 of 10
willwar14
Valued Contributor

This is gdale6's motto for medical stuff, I think you should follow step 4.

"For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help"

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  Luckily, this is the only collection on my account... I hope I will be able to get this removed... I should have, likely, researched prior to calling them ... but, I was just thinking 'pay the debt, you know it is yours.... ' etc. and wasn't thinking it all through... Clearly, I just goofed it up.  I apprecite your help!!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woohoo - I was able to get it deleted from Experian... waiting to see for Equifax.  Just FYI, I called them and they said (which is absurd to me, why couldn't they delete it from our phone confersation) that I'd need to open a dispute with the CRA... And, what do you know - just after I did, they deleted it on Experian.  I hope I get the same response from Equifax! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Did I mess up … collection account on my CR {Update}

If you have a collection and your primary goal is to obtain its deletion, the direct approach is to first make a pay for deletion offer to the debt collector, as only they can make a binding agreement to delete their own reporting.  Paying the OC wont require the debt colllector to delete if they still have assigned collection authority when the debt is paid.

If the OC agrees to first terminate their assigned collection authority before accepting payment, you can then pay the OC and use the CRA policy that a debt collector should delete their collection if their authority is terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.  That is an indirect approach that may be a fall-back attempt if the debt collector will not agree to a PFD.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did I mess up … collection account on my CR {Update}

Thank you!!

As mentioned, I only have the one colletction and I've already paid the OC.  I was successful in having it removed from my EX CR... still waiting to see about EQ.  Even though the information you provided is a bit late for me, I'm certain it will be helpful to someone else... so, THANK YOU, for sharing!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.