Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did they close this...did I close this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they close this...did I close this?

Hi all.  I've followed some of the boards here, and learned much, but never posted a question.  I was hoping to get some advice as what I should do - if anything. In the fall 2003, I was younger and working an hourly job.  I fell behind on a BoA credit card for several months, as my employer had to cut payroll, and I was reduced to either quitting or working 1 day a week from full time.  BoA called, I explained my job situation, and the representative said I either needed to bring my account current, or I could close my account and pay it off under the same terms.  I chose to close my account and paid it off over the next several years.  I wasn't on any kind of settlement plan or anything, just made more than the minimum payments.   Since then, I've tried to rebuild my credit, and have a perfect payment history.  I've been wanting to apply to a credit union and apply for a separate AMEX card.  I pulled my credit report the other day and noticed that though my account status for the BoA card is listed as: Paid or Paying as Agreed, they added a note that states: Account closed at credit grantor's request.   

- am I reading the note correctly to mean that BoA closed the account?  I understood the BoA representative to mean that I was closing the account, so is this note incorrect or is this how my account closing would be listed on a credit report?  If this is indeed inaccurate, should I challenge it?

- am I correct in understanding that since I finished paying on the credit card after it closed in 2003, that it'll continue to report past 2010? 

- am I correct in understanding that note doesn't affect my credit score?  

- I would like to send BoA a goodwill letter asking them to change the note on the account and also ask if they would remove the listed late payments.  I know that predicting a bank's behavior these days is impossible, but would it be worth an attempt given that these events are 6 years old?  Would BoA even consider such a request, given the time frame?  Could this backfire and hurt me now?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Did they close this...did I close this?

That statement means they closed it.  You can certainly try GW's.....for the price of a stamp you could possibly lose the late notes.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 12-02-2009 04:27 PM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I've got some old "closed by credit grantor" trade lines on my report. I don't remember anyone ever closing an account on us. I remember closing accounts that had annual fees. But, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, so I've left it alone.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice.  Is this something that I could, or should, challenge - given I was told I was closing the card and not the bank? 
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.