Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did verizon re-age the TL?

tag
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Did verizon re-age the TL?

before i submitted a GW request to them last month, the CO was showing "date reported" 10/2008.  after the GW request, they updated the TL and now it is showing that the date reported is 06/2011.  did verizon just re-aged this TL?  also, while it is showing on report that DOFD is 10/2008, payment history is showing that from 2008 and 2009, the account has been COd.  that means they are saying that i practically never paid the account on time (i was paying on time on it from 12/2007 up to the DOFD).  and the funny thing is, as of 01/2010 up to 05/2011, payment history states that i have been paying on it.  

i don't get it.  can anyone smarter than me please tell me if it was re-aged by verizon?  TIA.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Did verizon re-age the TL?

so instead of goodwill, they gave you some serious badwill?  (IDK if it's re-aged, someone else will tho).

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 8
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

so instead of goodwill, they gave you some serious badwill?  (IDK if it's re-aged, someone else will tho).

im thinking that's what happened. before i GW'd it was only showing COd for 9 months in 2008.  now, it's updated to 2 full years showing COd where it seems like i did not pay on the account at all, which is not true.  but also, the update now shows that i've been paying on time the past year and a half.  don't know what to think.  my main concern is them re-aging the account...where it was originally supposed to fall off in 2015, now with the date of report indicating 06/2010, im worried that it was pushed back later than that.

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's not re-aged. Re-aging is when the DOFD changes.

Message 4 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Did your score change?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 8
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

ok cool.  i was worried about that.  what do you advise regarding them showing 2 years of CO, but then after that, almost two years of perfect payment up to March of this year.  should i even bother getting the payment history corrected?

Booner,

nah...no change in score.

Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@TravellingNomad wrote:

@llecs wrote:

ok cool.  i was worried about that.  what do you advise regarding them showing 2 years of CO, but then after that, almost two years of perfect payment up to March of this year.  should i even bother getting the payment history corrected?

Focus on the goal. Your goal should be get it off. If you focus on the goal, then how it reports is unimportant. You should then take steps to get it off via a GW and not think twice about the reporting (so as long as the DOFD or the balance of $0 change). BTW, it was paid, right?

When Verizon CO's an account, they will report once it becomes a CO. That's why it is impossible to get them to report as current. They only report COs. Anyway, the DOFD will list with CO's shown as late payments and they will report that monthly up to the point they sell it (which they'd usually delete when they sell it) or you PIF or settle. At that point, the lates stop but from time to time, like now (or via a GW or dispute or whatever), they will update the payment history even if the balance had been at $0 for years past. Sometimes they won't report it late but they'll update after a GW, dispute, PFD, or whatever. So, since they hadn't updated, they added the lates after receiving your letter. Annoying.

BTW, DW just went through that in our pre-mortgage process. We had a small Verizon CO for $200 or less, IIRC. We had to pay it and I told the LO that if we pay it, they will add lates. She said, "No, they don't do that.". I said, "Bet me". So, I paid it and sure enough, Verizon added 120+ day lates up through the month we paid it. I doubt the score would have changed because a paid CO is just as bad as an unpaid one, like in your case, but thankfully the lender didn't pull our scores again and it wasn't an issue.

Message 7 of 8
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Focus on the goal. Your goal should be get it off. If you focus on the goal, then how it reports is unimportant. You should then take steps to get it off via a GW and not think twice about the reporting (so as long as the DOFD or the balance of $0 change). BTW, it was paid, right?

When Verizon CO's an account, they will report once it becomes a CO. That's why it is impossible to get them to report as current. They only report COs. Anyway, the DOFD will list with CO's shown as late payments and they will report that monthly up to the point they sell it (which they'd usually delete when they sell it) or you PIF or settle. At that point, the lates stop but from time to time, like now (or via a GW or dispute or whatever), they will update the payment history even if the balance had been at $0 for years past. Sometimes they won't report it late but they'll update after a GW, dispute, PFD, or whatever. So, since they hadn't updated, they added the lates after receiving your letter. Annoying.

BTW, DW just went through that in our pre-mortgage process. We had a small Verizon CO for $200 or less, IIRC. We had to pay it and I told the LO that if we pay it, they will add lates. She said, "No, they don't do that.". I said, "Bet me". So, I paid it and sure enough, Verizon added 120+ day lates up through the month we paid it. I doubt the score would have changed because a paid CO is just as bad as an unpaid one, like in your case, but thankfully the lender didn't pull our scores again and it wasn't an issue.

ok...focusing on getting it off.  so far i've sent 3 GW's to them and the same responses, that they are reporting correctly.  but what i don't get is, initially, the TL was reporting correctly.  where they indicated COd on the 9 months i did not pay the bill.  and then in late 2009, i contacted the CA that was collecting on it and settled the account with them for less than the amount owed.  so from that time, it showed that there was 9 months in 2008 where the payment history said CO and then nothing because that was when the CA took over.  but somehow, when i settled with the CA, the TL was deleted without me asking the CA.  so yes, the TL has been settled and paid for less than the full amount.  it was originally $259 but if i remember correctly, i only paid $120.

as you said, since it did not re-age and it doesn't hurt my score any more than it does now, i'll just keep sending out the letters and hoping they'd breakdown somewhere along the way and agree to delete....or 2015 comes around and it falls off.  which ever comes first Smiley Very Happy  thanks llecs for always being so paitent with all my questions.  i really appreciate all the advise you've given!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.