Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different credit scores - confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different credit scores - confused

So the FICO score I see through American Express (based on Experian) is 665. Bank of America recently started allowing me to see my FICO score too - it used to say “score unavailable.” It’s based on Tranunion and is 727.

That’s a pretty significant difference. How should I interpret this?

Also the score factors in the Experian (Amex) score are length of account history and lack of revolving credit. Factors on Tranunion are length of account history and too many accounts reporting balances (I only have the Amex charger, a car loan and the BoA visa which is new and currently has a balance of $26 on $5k credit limit.)

Which credit score best reflects how I appear to lenders? 665 and 727 is the difference between “fair” and “good”

Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Different credit scores - confused

Did you check both reports to see if they are both reporting same things? My TransUnion is lower too than Experian and Equifax but TU reports different than other two and refuse to change. They will not update balance correctly.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven’t checked Experian in the last few months but checked Transunion recently. I don’t have much to report, but maybe Experian doesn’t see my new-ish Visa? Just seems strange that there is a 62pt difference.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you need your score in the next couple months for something than I would pull reports (reports not just scores) for all 3 bureaus and see what's on all of them and compare. I do this every few months just for good measure.

If you don't need your scores for anything then perhaps give it a couple months from your new account for the dust to settle, then check your free scores again.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

go to freecreditreport.com and download all three of your credit reports:  Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.  If your scores are, in fact, different, then there will most likely be different information reporting to each.

It's the creditors' perogative whether or not to report and to which bureaus to report.  Each creditor uses different credut bureaus to inquire about your credit as well.

Keep reading.  You'll find everything you'll ever want to know on the myFico forums!

Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.