Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digging Out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Digging Out

Hi everyone,

Total newbie here, but I am trying to dig out of a credit score of 615.  I have a 5 year old Chapter 7, some medical collections, and 2 really old 30 days that are killing me.

Any suggestions?  I know I need to pay down the balance of one of my CC but I'm also struggling with successful goodwill letters.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Jen

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Digging Out

I can't provide any guidance on your BK, but can tell you any Collection Account will have a (relatively) significant impact on your overall profile.  That said, medical collections are oftentimes easier to deal with than other collection accounts (do a Google search).  It is also a widely held belief that 30 day lates over 3 years old do not have that much of an impact.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 6
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Are the medical collections paid or unpaid?  If they are paid, you might want to see if they will do pay for delete (PFD) on them.  If they are paid, you definitely want to start a GW letter campaign.  I had the best luck getting paid medical collections removed by contacting the original creditor (OC) and pleading my case.  I was able to get 8 paid medical collections with 3 different collection agencies (CA) removed this way.

On the 30 day lates, I would definitely work on goodwill removals of those as well.  If you still have those accounts, try calling them and asking them for a one time removal, otherwise start sending GW letters.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Total newbie here, but I am trying to dig out of a credit score of 615.  I have a 5 year old Chapter 7, some medical collections, and 2 really old 30 days that are killing me.

Any suggestions?  I know I need to pay down the balance of one of my CC but I'm also struggling with successful goodwill letters.

Jen

CC balances are about 1/3 of your score. Make paying it down a priority.

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Jen

For medical debt:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

30 day lates tend to stop hurting you score after 2 years but its dependent on your whole credit picture. You would send GW letters asking for forgiveness of the lates to the reporting creditor. There isnt much you can do about that actual BK entry at this point it will remain in file for 10 years. As Norman has suggested get your cards paid down ASAP they have the biggest effect on your Fico next to payment history.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I have just sent out a bunch of goodwill letters to Chase and after talking with one of the collections, they said they would remove it if I paid in full, so I am waiting for that in writing.

Now I just have to pay down that dang Capital One!!

Thanks everyone!

Jen

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.