Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dillard's Goodwill

tag
bear812c
Regular Contributor

Dillard's Goodwill

Ok so a few weeks ago I wrote to Dillard's asking for a goodwill adjustment on late payment from 6 years ago, they wrote me back declining to do so. Not wanting to accept no for an answer,today  I just got up the nerve to call them on the phone and ask again for a GW adjustment and after explaining my request to the rep he transferred me to a manager who told me this, "We can not legally remove late payments from you credit unless we can investigate them and we do not have the records going back as far as 2007." This is exactly what the manager just said to me and she was very rude so I didn't bother arguing with her considering I was asking for a GW adjustment. I didn't think arguing would get me anywhere, anyway. BUT someone please tell me: HOW can Dillard's continue to report on my credit report negative information that they have no records of??? What can I do about this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

Re: Dillard's Goodwill

First what kind of late payment was it? 30 60 90 120? If it was a 30 day late it will have very very little if any affect on your credit. The 90 days + are the ones that will continue to hurt your score until they fall off.

Is the late payment valid? If it is you really can not dispute the information if it is accurate and valid.  If it not reporting correctly then dispute it with the CRA's and see what the response is and go from there. It could come down to Dillards saying we do not have the records to prove we are right and you are wrong, but do you have the records to prove they are actually wrong.

Message 2 of 6
bear812c
Regular Contributor

Honestly it was so long ago I don't remember if it even is a valid late payment. It's a 30 day. I have already disputed it with the credit bureaus (that was the first thing I did) and Dillard's validated it saying it was correctly reported by them so that route didn't work and that is why I sent them a GW letter requesting it be removed, and then of course called them. My question is how can they report something and validate something that they admit they have no record of and I can't do a single thing about it?

Message 3 of 6
coterotie
Established Contributor

If they have no records back to 2007 how can they validate?  I would call them back, make sure you get the usual call is being recorded/monitored for Q/A ask them the question again.  Ask them the question again.  Since they are recording the conversation for quality purposes the recording notice has already been given.  Make sure you get name and id number.  Then call the credit bureau and re-initiate the dispute.  Send them a transcript of the call and let them know that it is recorded.  Dillards, has committed fraud by validating something they have no ability to validate.

Message 4 of 6
bear812c
Regular Contributor

thank you. I will be doing exactly this tomorrow.

Message 5 of 6
bear812c
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

I just got around to calling Dillards back. The first representative I spoke with is obviously a new employee who is still in training. I explained everything including that my online account is not showing a past due from that time period and I requested 1. A copy of 3 months statements for that time period. and 2. A removal of the late from my credit report. She said they have no records on my account except for the last 12 months history. Once I started asking to have those lates removed because they admittly have no records of it and asked to speak with someone else she gave me the biggest run around I have ever experienced in my entire life! Like I'm the idiot, not her who doesn't know her job or the answers to my questions and is rambling just to get me off the phone. She told me to write to the credit bureau to dispute it and the credit bureau would correct it. I told her that I had already done this and that Dillards validated it and then I asked her how that was possible for them to validate something that they have no record of. At this moment she asked to transfer me to someone else and then "accidently" disconnected me. Of course I called back and reached another rep. Explained nicely that I was previously disconnected and was calling back to confirm I would receive the statements and inquired again about having the lates removed. Clearly the lady on the line was aware of my previous conversation I had just had with the previous rep because she didn't need to hear my whole story all over again but she claimed that all this information was "documented" already and that an investigation into those records would begin in a few days and that they would need about 30 days to "correct my credit report". I'm not exactly clear what she meant by this as she wouldn't say it straight out that they would remove the lates but only that they would "correct" it. I decided not to press the matter anymore because maybe she was hinting that they would GW them for me but had to be discreet about it??? or maybe she was just blowing me off so she didn't have to deal with me therefore made it sound as though it would be taken care of. I don't know. I guess I'll find out in 45 days or so. I hope they do.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.