Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Dispute Question

tag
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Direct Dispute Question

So I sent a direct dispute via email to Sallie Mae regarding the lates that are reporting incorrectly.  It's only been a couple of weeks but I have yet to hear anything from them.  Are they required to look into my dispute within 30 days?  And, is it a problem that I sent it via email instead of postal mail?  Also, I didn't include copies of my credit reports, just supporting documentation that the lates are incorrect.

I'm not sure if I followed the right procedures or not.  I'm concerned because they haven't even confirmed that they were looking into my dispute.

Any feedback is appreciated.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Direct Dispute Question

I believe this thread may help....Check out message 15

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Direct-Dispute-Process-is-now-law/td-p/688931/...

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 10
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  This definitely answers most of my questions.

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The direct dispute process requires the furnisher to complete their investigation within the same time period imposed on CRAs when you dispute under the 611(a) process.

Message 4 of 10
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

So, it's been just about 30 days now since I originally sent my dispute via email to Sallie Mae and still nothing back from them.    If they don't respond what happens? I read the post in the link above, but I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Should I follow up with them? 

Message 5 of 10
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Anyone?

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are required to respond within the same period as CRAs are compelled to complete the resolution of disputes made through them.  Typically 30 days.

Copies of your CR are not required.  They are only one form of suggested documentation of a dispute, and really only necessary if needed to document that yes, they did in fact actually report the disputed information to a CRA.  Rarely an issue.  . 

If your other documentation properly identified the dispute to the extent that they could reasonably conduct an investigation, they cannot dismiss it simply on the basis of lack of attachment of relevant portions of your CR to support the disputed reporting.

Message 7 of 10
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again RobertEG.  I definitely supplied them with the necessary documentation to support  my dispute. 

My question is then, since it has been over 30 days and they have not responded at all to my dispute, what should I do next to get the disputed items corrected?  

Message 8 of 10
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Dispute the accounts through the bureaus.
Message 9 of 10
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks altonc27.  I initially disputed these lates with the CRAs but there was no way to provide supporting documentation and the lates came back as verified. That is why I tried the direct dispute approach.  I'm trying to figure out what step to take next since the OC did not respond to my dispute.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.