cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing Collections and liens-where did they go?

tag
oldcreditwoes
Contributor

Disappearing Collections and liens-where did they go?

Hi, all

in reviewing EQ from annualcreditreport, I noted that a collection, that was PIF, (and reported correctly to all three CRA on past reports), disappeared from EQ report run today.   The collection was from 2012, and PIF in early 2013.  any idea why it may have been deleted early?

Also, got CR from myfico for TU and EX a couple of days ago......I had three state tax liens from MI...two scheduled to age off this year.....both are gone already from EX.  Do they typically drop a few months prior to age-off date?  in this case, may, 2015 and august, 2015.  both gone already.

any ideas?   Not complaining about early deletion, of course.....but find it odd.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disappearing Collections and liens-where did they go?

The collections could have been removed two ways.

First, they could have been excluded based on expiration of their credit report exclusion period, which is based on DOFD, not when the debt was paid.

What is the DOFD on the OC account that led to the collection?

Second, the debt collector could have chosed to voluntarily delete their reporting.  Perhaps for housecleaning reasons.....

Yes, the CRA can and often exclude early, usually around 6 months or so.

The statute sets only a max exclusion date, and does not preclude earlier exclusion.

Message 2 of 4
oldcreditwoes
Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

First, they could have been excluded based on expiration of their credit report exclusion period, which is based on DOFD, not when the debt was paid.

Second, the debt collector could have chosed to voluntarily delete their reporting.  Perhaps for housecleaning reasons.....

The statute sets only a max exclusion date, and does not preclude earlier exclusion.

Hi, Robert, thanks for the reply

DOFD on the OC account.... not sure of exact date, but sometime in summer, 2012.       This same collection entry showed on all three CRA...now that EQ deleted, it still shows on the other two CRA.  So, if housecleaning is the case, I can reasonably expect it to disappear from the other two, also?  that would indicate that the CA voluntarily chose to delete from all three?  or just EQ?  

regarding early exclusion on the state tax liens (state of MI), I guess I will just count my blessings that they deleted early.......  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@oldcreditwoes wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Hi, Robert, thanks for the reply

DOFD on the OC account.... not sure of exact date, but sometime in summer, 2012.       This same collection entry showed on all three CRA...now that EQ deleted, it still shows on the other two CRA.  So, if housecleaning is the case, I can reasonably expect it to disappear from the other two, also?  that would indicate that the CA voluntarily chose to delete from all three?  or just EQ?  

regarding early exclusion on the state tax liens (state of MI), I guess I will just count my blessings that they deleted early.......  Smiley Happy

Always a possiblity that they canceled their contract with EQ and if that is done all of their reporting on anyones file would be removed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.