cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Account Close Date Dispute Help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card Account Close Date Dispute Help?

I could use some advice on my paid collection with Discover Card.

Discover Card is currently reporting a charge-off on my credit from 2007, the date the account was settled.   However, I know the account was closed in May of 2003 as part of a credit counseling agreement. 

I disputed this with the credit reporting agencies and it comes back as verified.  

Here's the question..  I have a mailed statement sent by Discover in August 2004, showing "credit limit of 0" and a refund of overlimit fees, as well as the Cashback Awards being completely blank.

Does anyone know if Discover would consider this proof of a closed account?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Card Account Close Date Dispute Help?

is the 2007 date showing as the date reported ? If so this would be correct reflecting the reporting of the settlement. The bureau as another field if shown on the credit reprort is date closed which would be the 2003 date.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account close date is reported as 2007, and that's where I think the mistake is...

Based on what I know of credit reporting, if the account was closed in May of 2003, it should disappear in May 2010; even if the payments occured later.  Is this correct?

Message 3 of 5
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on what I know of credit reporting, if the account was closed in May of 2003, it should disappear in May 2010; even if the payments occured later.  Is this correct?

No. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's permissiable for payments to be reported after the account was closed and then charged off?   

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.