Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Goodwill Denial Experience

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RM21 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't  recommend wasting energy writing goodwill letters.   They are usually not successful.     

There may have been a time when lenders were more forgiving some time ago, but not now.

Lola, if you are referring to Discover in this OP's example, that could be true. But a quick search of these threads on Goodwill deletions will say otherwise about them not being successful. Yes, there are denials, and some may be less willing to accept goodwills compared to years ago....but there are many recent success stories from them.

I think it is a route worth taking because you have nothing to lose. Maybe not in this particular case at this time for the OP, but overall. You have nothing to lose, but stand to gain a lot if successful,and you don't know if you don't try.

Good point on nothing to lose.   Thanks for not calling it "bad advice" LOL.   

I've read for hours....there are just not a lot of success stories compared to let downs.   But your right, it certainly won't hurt.   

In my opinon, the chances are better if the late is older than a year.  

Mortgage lates and student loan lates (unless they are rehabbed) rarely get goodwilled.    A 30 day has a much better chance than a 60 90 120 day.  

Mortgage rehab?

I read that as rehabbed student loan lates.  She is correct that mortage and student loan lates are rarely goodwilled.  Rehabbed SL do have many late marks removed.  Nothing incorrect in that statement.

Thanks.   I am no longer going to respond in this thread, as I feel I am being personally attacked.   This is not science.  Obviously there are no case studies or peer reviewed evidence.   Posting my experience, as well as trends noted from hours of reading.      Wishing everyone well, we are all in this together, and we all have the same goals.    

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not personally attacking you at all. I felt IMO your statement earlier in the thread was bad advice. As it is MO only. You are entitled to your opinion as I am and everyone else.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't asking for peer reviewed studies, I was asking for a source of the data, as it felt like such a firm truth being given. As someone who is currently trying to GW a few lates on my student loans, it was a relevant request. I wouldn't want to waste my time if there is no evidence whatsoever of Nelnet removing lates outside of rehab on defaulted loans.

If you want to share your own experiences, or offer an opinion based on your limited scope of data, it's best to disclose why you've formed the opinion you have so others aren't confused.

Your original statement was ambiguous (had nothing to do with mortgages and student loans), and I'm sorry you feel you are being attacked, but that's certainly not my intention. I just don't want anyone else to read that and not even try to plead their case when many have been successful. 

----

I just wanted to add that from my own research across the web (here, CB, CN, reddit, CK) it seems that often times the first few attempts at GW for student loans are unsuccessful. Every single one of the threads I read where the OP tried repeatedly resulted in a successful removal of one or more late marks. Still a small sample, but I've read close to ~50 threads. Perhaps persitence is key with SL servicers. Annoy them until they want to get rid of you. Smiley LOL

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

At risk of getting this thread back on topic, has anyone had Goodwill success with Discover?

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured I'd check in one more time and see if anyone has had good luck with Discover.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.