cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Goodwill... very strange response from EO. What to do?

tag
trnj88
New Contributor

Discover Goodwill... very strange response from EO. What to do?

I have four (4) 30-day late payments on my Discover card from back in 2013-2014 when I was going through difficult times financially.

I submitted a goodwill letter about two weeks ago to the Discover CEO asking for forgiveness via email and received a strange response. A very nice lady from the Executive Office called me about a week later and explained that she understood my situation, but that even though my account had been late it was "never reported as delinquent to the credit bureaus."

I told her I literally was looking at four separate 30-day lates that were visible on my credit report. The months being reported were December 2013, February 2014, August 2014, and October 2014. I explained I saw them on my credit report and they had been there for quite some time.

She said nicely, "I understand and I can see you did submit payments late during those months, but we did not report any delinquencies to the credit bureaus." She went on to say she would be mailing me confirmation in the mail. I was so confused. I didn't want to be rude and desperate so I thanked her for her time and figured I'd wait for the letter in the mail to investigate further.

This is the letter I got:

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to David Nelms, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman at Discover. To ensure your concerns regarding your Discover account are efficiently addressed, your correspondence has been directed to my attention in the Executive Office at Discover.

We have confirmed that the payment history of your account is accurately reporting to the credit bureau reporting agencies. While your payments for December 2013, February 2014, August 2014 and October 2014 were received after the due date, these late payments were not reported as delinquent to the credit reporting agencies.

Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you. ...

Sincerely,

xxxxx

Executive Office of Customer Advocacy

Discover

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I see the lates on my credit report (all three, EQ, EX and TU) however Discover claims they were never reported as delinquencies... SO confused.

I could open a dispute with this letter, but I feel like it would be pointless. It says both, "...the payment history of your account is accurately reporting to the credit bureau reporting agencies" and also, "these late payments were not reported as delinquent." So the letter basically cancels itself out.. I feel like a dispute would just get rejected.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Goodwill... very strange response from EO. What to do?

I would send them a letter requesting that they send a request to the major reporting agencies to indicate no unfavorable payment history for those months. I would include a copy of their letter that you pasted above, referencing that in their letter clearly their intent was not to have any negative information reported for your account. Last, I'd print off that account on your credit report and enclose that in your envelope as well so that they can see what you are seeing. I'm fairly certain they'll make this correction for you.
Message 2 of 5
trnj88
New Contributor

Thanks, good idea, I'll send them a letter today with a copy of what they sent me and a screenshot of my tradeline. Hopefully they update to reflect no lates Smiley Happy I'll follow up if/when I hear back in case anyone else experiences this.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious - how did this end up?

I am actually working on drafting a letter to them right now. I'm just a little worried about the odds of getting it fixed. 

Message 4 of 5
QCS123
Established Contributor

Wondering if you an give us an update?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.