cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Judgement: Can they be renewed?

tag
goldenyears
New Contributor

Discover Judgement: Can they be renewed?

Question for anyone with experience paying on a judgement from Discover:  I have been paying regular monthly payments for two years and the collection is set to drop from my credit report February 2015, though I will not have paid off the debt in full.  I expect it will be paid in full sometime next spring.  

Can/does Discover renew a judgement if the amount is not yet paid?  I would like to avoid renewing the judgement if possible and would like to know if I should try to get a short term loan to pay it in January so the collection will at least drop from my report.

Thanks for any experiences/knowledge you can share on this!

Starting Score: 523 TU: 3/15/2012
Current Score: 732 EQ 09/03/2014
Next Goal Score: steady 750 by Jan 2017

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Judgement: Can they be renewed?

The period of enforceability of a judgment is unrelated to the credit report exclusion period of the reported collection.

In most states, it is ten years, and yes, it is usually entendable upon motion back to the judgment court.

The CR exclusion period for the collection is no lter than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD, and is not extendable.

When was the judgment issued?

Message 2 of 3
goldenyears
New Contributor

Re: Discover Judgement: Can they be renewed?

Thanks, Robert!  This judgement was issued February 2008.  I was not aware of the +180 day portion so it looks like it could be there untl next July.  No Bueno.

Starting Score: 523 TU: 3/15/2012
Current Score: 732 EQ 09/03/2014
Next Goal Score: steady 750 by Jan 2017

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.