Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Rewards CC - GW Letter failed

tag
blaksun333
Valued Member

Discover Rewards CC - GW Letter failed

All,

This is in regards to a Discover Rewards CC that went 30, 60, 90, 120 days late starting September 2008 and then to an internal collection agency in January 2009.  I settled the account in 2009 for less than the balance and now it shows on my credit report as follows:

TransUnion: Settled—less than full balance

Equifax: Closed or paid account / zero balance

Experian: Legally paid in full for less than the full balance.

I sent a GW via email to the Vice President of Cardmember Services and Consumer Banking on April 17th, basically requesting to remove lates and/or delete tradeline, and received a reponse today from the Executive Office of Customer Advocay stating the following:

....We are not in a position to honor your request to change or reconsider the valid payment history on your account.  Anytime an account is past due for two consecutive billing cycles it is reported as 30 days past due to the major credit bureau reporting agencies.  Since the payment history on your account is being accurately reflected on your credit bureau report, we are unable to honor your request to change the reported payment history.  Further, we are not at liberty to delete the tradeline from your credit file as our policy is to never compromise the integrity of the credit bureau report by removing valid delinquencies. We are required to report accurate information to the credit bureau reporting agencies....

The lates are valid and need advice.  Thanks

Starting Score: 425
Current Score: 615
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover Rewards CC - GW Letter failed

Is there any way you could come up with the remainder of the debt?  If you could offer to pay it off if they will delete.

They might be more willing if the debt was not settled.

They are required to report accurate information if they report, this is true.  They are not required to report at all.

If you can't afford the balance keep sending GWs.

Message 2 of 5
blaksun333
Valued Member

Should I call and offer to pay the remainder of the balance or mail it in?

Message 3 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

In your credit report did this account ever show as a collection account in the payment history? I would make the offer in writing  or call and see what their response is.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 5
blaksun333
Valued Member

only on experian

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.