Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured or NFCU Secured Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured or NFCU Secured Card?

Which do you guys recommend or do you recommend both?

Trying to rebuild my credit and get my scores up. I already applied for the non-secured with NFCU and did a re-con and was recommend to do the secured.

I had thought about getting the Discover Secured and then applying in 3-4 months with Navy Federal for a non-secured or what do you guys suggest?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secured or NFCU Secured Card?

One of each! They are two of the best and will grow along with you.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Trying to rebuild my credit and get my scores up. I already applied for the non-secured with NFCU and did a re-con and was recommend to do the secured.

I had thought about getting the Discover Secured and then applying in 3-4 months with Navy Federal for a non-secured or what do you guys suggest?

if you only have funds for one, you should do the Discover. The rewards can't be beaten as far as secured cards go.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

if you only have funds for one, you should do the Discover. The rewards can't be beaten as far as secured cards go.

How is the Citi Secured?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had both and would like to share my experience so your mileage may vary. I opened Discover secured with $200 and NFCU secured with $500. A year goes by and both go unsecured like clockwork. So I figure, great let's CLI these puppies! Discover says no and NFCU gives me $8k AND approves me for a second unsecured card at $8k. About 6 months after that I CLI my Discover and nope denied. I CLI my NFCU and both jump to $16k unsecured. In my opinion, banking with NFCU has been great when you show you are responsible and make all of your payments. Discover on the other hand I am on the verge of just walking away from. $200 is my lowest limit and just a joke at this point. Another thing, when NFCU gave me my $16k limits they also got both of my cards Visa Signature Cash Rewards. Treat NFCU good and they'll do the same.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How is the Citi Secured?

Nothing special and takes a long time to unsecure. I just wanted to establish a relationship early with them.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have had both and would like to share my experience so your mileage may vary. I opened Discover secured with $200 and NFCU secured with $500. A year goes by and both go unsecured like clockwork. So I figure, great let's CLI these puppies! Discover says no and NFCU gives me $8k AND approves me for a second unsecured card at $8k. About 6 months after that I CLI my Discover and nope denied. I CLI my NFCU and both jump to $16k unsecured. In my opinion, banking with NFCU has been great when you show you are responsible and make all of your payments. Discover on the other hand I am on the verge of just walking away from. $200 is my lowest limit and just a joke at this point. Another thing, when NFCU gave me my $16k limits they also got both of my cards Visa Signature Cash Rewards. Treat NFCU good and they'll do the same.

I have also seen some people get great credit limits from Discover.  But, I see your point. Discover could also be a good way to get into the door. You could have probably unsecured with Navy Federal. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got an unsecured card with NFCU when my score was low 600's and 6 months in I'm at 10k CL. 

Shame to hear about Disco. They must really dislike something in your profile. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe there is some internal issue going on with Discover CLIs for previously secured cards (Said to get fixed by months end). I wouldn't walk away; Discover is a great company to do business with.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.