Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover secured reported balance twice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover secured reported balance twice

I've had the discover secured card for two months. It repeats on the 5th. For some reason, in August it also reported on the 11th. The balance was 0 on the 5th but $120 on the 11th which screwed up my landed util rate. I called them and they said it should only have reported on the 5th and will send an off-cycle report to correct.

Has anyone had this happen?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover secured reported balance twice

Some cards do report mid cycle especially if you go from $0 to a large balance. I've never experienced this with Discover though.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know why they do that?
Message 3 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Because folks sometimes pay off a large chunk or pay off entirely mid cycle and it affects their utilization...

This can be a good thing as well as a bad thing... 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm rebuilding my credit and make sure that I pay it down to 0 before the reporting date. This increased my utilization above the threshold I'm aiming for (less than 10%). I do use the card and pay it off because they match the cash back in the first year but if they are going to do this regularly I will be reluctant to use it.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover normally doesn't report mid cycle. I pay it off and wait for the statement to cut, and use it the next day. And continue to use and pay in full. See what happens the next time you do it.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's what I've been doing. I'll edit and see if they correct it.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll wait, not edit. Typing on a smartphone!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.