Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovers Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discovers Secured Card

US Bank approved me for 2 secured and Citi also.. So im not fully understanding discover ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 31 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was denied for the US Bank secured card in September.  In November I got an invitation to apply in the mail for their unsecured Platinum and got approved.  Go figure.  

What were yout scores when you were approved?

Message 32 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lindsaydruart wrote:
Buyaobuyao, have you tried the new app or is that an old one?

That was Nov 2015, went my Collection was 13 months old. Same month Chase approved. I called Discover and they could only offer a joint app.  Meh, not an option for me.

Message 33 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was denied for the US Bank secured card in September.  In November I got an invitation to apply in the mail for their unsecured Platinum and got approved.  Go figure.  

What were yout scores when you were approved?

EQ was 643  They also pull ARS.  I also bank with them.

Message 34 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been follwing this on three forum board sites and no one has been "approved" yet or at least posted that they've been approved.  

Message 35 of 124
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

We need to bombard them with letters LOL

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 36 of 124
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

So here was my letter:

I, like many others were ELATED to see the link at the bottom of the Discover home page offering the secured Discover it Chrome. Many like myself, those rebuilding credit files from past issues, were excited to have the possibility to hold this card even if we had to fully secure our step into the coveted Discover door. To think, Discover itself would offer the product instead of the well remembered subprime card that was the Matrix Discover (and yes I had this card) . It felt great to fill out the application and I had my banking information ready but to no avail I was declined.

The primary reason for decline was the presence of charge offs on my credit report. I called in to discuss this and was told you cannot have charge offs or delinquencies on your credit report. My response was one of logic: "If I had a clean credit file, why would I need or even want a secured card?" The representative was only doing her job in her reply and I understand her position but I don't understand Discover's position on the matter.

Thousands flocked to the Discover website in hopes of starting a relationship that can lead them to the unsecured card and build their credit file with a strong issuer like Discover but, from my research and the forums posts of many, no one has been approved and everyone has been deemed unworthy for the exact same reason.

So my question is, who is this card targeted for if it requires a perfect credit file? Personally, I have no need for a secured card. I have over $10,000 in unsecured credit lines but I would like to be a card holder and I recognize the elite status it holds to any way in the door for me was viable. The door, however, has been placed in front of us less than perfect, opened just a crack, then shut with a loud and resounding turn of the deadbolt. How sad it is to be declined for a secured card for the very reason you may need a secured card.

I appeal to you, to adjust your criteria. There are many Discover fans sitting on the outside of the building staring in at everyone else in hopes that they too, one day can become apart. I, like many others, are perfectly prepared to fund our own way in but that requires you to let us. Thank you for taking a moment to read my email and I hope to become a Discover card holder in the future.
Message 37 of 124
smitty1
New Contributor

*following

Message 38 of 124
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

Got an email from the rep and I forgot to include any information but she gave me her number. I called and she said she would work on it and give me a call on Wednesday. Response time for their EO is much faster than Cap 1.

Message 39 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured cards are often meant for those with little or no credit history to be able to prove they can handle it.
Message 40 of 124
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.