Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disgusted

So after hitting a score of 806 in my mid 20's and having spotless credit, an accomplishment I worked extremely hard for, it finally happened. My score just dropped 80 points, due to a $14 charge on a card I irregularly use that became 30 days late. I find this out minutes after submitting an application for a home loan, so I'm sure that interest rate is going to be less than great. I called Discover who transferred me to their "FICO" department who basically told me tough luck, there's nothing they can do. I also asked if lenders look at the amount that was past due, which they said they didn't think it mattered if it was $300 or $14, they just see paste due.

Any advice? I've read on here about asking for a supervisor or writing a Goodwill letter, any experience with those actually working? Absolutely disgusted right now that a measly $14 is going to cost me thousands in mortgage interest, or possibly the approval, period.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disgusted

That sucks.  It takes a long time to reach an 800 credit score so I'd be upset as well.  The only thing I could suggest is you try pleading your case with a supervisor at Discover card and actually own up and admit it was your mistake.  I'd remind them that you've been an excellent customer with on time payment history for etc and ask if they will do some sort of goodwill delete.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would actually contact the Executive Office over this. Obviously you are able to prove that you can pay a small bill and that it was just an error that you didn't notice the statement. Go on autopay and plead that it won't happen again because you are now on autopay. 

Also, consider switching to paper statements on cards you don't use. While an email just lets you know your statement is available, getting one in the mail encourages you to verify it is the balance you expect.

Message 3 of 7
iowe
Regular Contributor

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Quicken 17, best thing for me, shows any balances. My sams club renewed this month i wasn't aware it was coming due. Quicken let me know there was a charge on my sams club for the membership fee. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would attempt a goodwill removal.  You have to approach this as something was totally your fault, it has put you in a bind to get qualified for your house and your seeking their help.  Some come off as pissed at the lender which isn't going to work.  You are correct, it doesn't matter if it is 14 bucks or 300, a 30 day late is a 30 day late.  

You can explain the entire situation to the mortgage lender and they will likely disregard it because you have such strong credit.  

This is one reason I have autopayments on all of my CC accounts.  I would set up auto payments on the Discover and mention that you have done so to the agent, mention that it will never happen again.

Best of luck

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would attempt a goodwill removal.  You have to approach this as something was totally your fault, it has put you in a bind to get qualified for your house and your seeking their help.  Some come off as pissed at the lender which isn't going to work.  You are correct, it doesn't matter if it is 14 bucks or 300, a 30 day late is a 30 day late.  

You can explain the entire situation to the mortgage lender and they will likely disregard it because you have such strong credit.  

This is one reason I have autopayments on all of my CC accounts.  I would set up auto payments on the Discover and mention that you have done so to the agent, mention that it will never happen again.

Best of luck

Yup.  That's the same reason why I have auto pay setup on all of my credit cards to pay at the very least the minimum or the min plus a set amount.  Life gets busy and it can be easy to overlook a due date.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.