Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Comments on Collections

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Dispute Comments on Collections

So Dispute comments on TLs nullify the TL on your score.  But i've heard that they have no impact on Collection accounts.  However, many (if not all) lenders require to remove dispute comments from collection accounts.  So I have two questions:

1) Does removing dispute comments count as an account update?

2) Do dispute comments actually prevent collections accounts from impacting your score?

I have two i need to remove comments from.  Just curious as to what kind of impact I'll see.  I will probably end up doing a PFD on one.  The other one I have no interest in settling.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
roxxor
Established Member

Re: Dispute Comments on Collections

Hello,

From personal experience, disputing it will not prevent it from impacting your score. I currently have one baddie that I disputed when I was DV'ing it a couple months ago, and when the comments were added about the dispute, it moved the DOLA up to 12/12 but did not do anything for my score. As far as having the comments removed, i have no personal experience but my assumption would be that since it updates when they are added, it would probably update the activity date if they were removed as well.
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Having a collection, from a CA, in dispute does not remove it from factoring into your score.  When the comment is removed it also should have no impact.

Message 3 of 4
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

As a followup to this thread, I contacted each of the three CRA and each of them claimed to have removed the dispute comments within 72 hours.  I used the contact info in the sticky on the credit rebuilding forum as well.

Just posting as an FYI since others have indicated they had some horror stories about getting their dispute comments removed.  I guess we'll see if it actually happened. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.