Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Frustration

tag
calcazar01
New Visitor

Dispute Frustration

Greetings!

Maybe you guys can help me understand the Dispute process a little better or even suggest credit reporting companies that handle the disputes and display FICO and reports for each of the berues. 

Long story short I'm in the process of buying a new home as I'm expecting little ones soon. about 2 - 3 months ago I noticed an account in collections. It wasn't mine, It turns out it was someone way older than me with a similar name as me. To dispute this I went to annualcreditreport and used the credit reports from each of the companies to file the dispute.

Fast Forward to this month, The old Collections is long gone but now I have a new entry! Since I already used my free annual credit report The only option for me was to spend $40.00 dollars on experians site to purchase all 3 reports. Come to find out that although I paid for the 3 reports I can only dispute with experian since I purchased them with experian. To make things more complicated, The collection is only showing in transunions web site and I was able to dispute it correctly there. 

So in conclusion I submited a dispute with Transunion, Equifax had no mention of the collection, and Experian only had a credit inquiry by the collection agency. I contacted the collections office and they acknowledged and noted that it wasn't my collection. 

Do I just sit tight and wait for it to fall of my credit report at this point? since it hasn't been added to experian and Equifax I'm assuming it wont be added now that I contacted the collections agency.

Why is this so complicated?, I still believe that being forced to buy a credit report to dispute an item on it is highly unethical.

Sorry.. I'm in a bit of a ranting mood since this will put my house seeking on hold until this gets resolved.

Thanks for listening!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Dispute Frustration

@calcazar01 wrote:

Greetings!

Maybe you guys can help me understand the Dispute process a little better or even suggest credit reporting companies that handle the disputes and display FICO and reports for each of the berues. 

Long story short I'm in the process of buying a new home as I'm expecting little ones soon. about 2 - 3 months ago I noticed an account in collections. It wasn't mine, It turns out it was someone way older than me with a similar name as me. To dispute this I went to annualcreditreport and used the credit reports from each of the companies to file the dispute.

Fast Forward to this month, The old Collections is long gone but now I have a new entry! Since I already used my free annual credit report The only option for me was to spend $40.00 dollars on experians site to purchase all 3 reports. Come to find out that although I paid for the 3 reports I can only dispute with experian since I purchased them with experian. To make things more complicated, The collection is only showing in transunions web site and I was able to dispute it correctly there. 

So in conclusion I submited a dispute with Transunion, Equifax had no mention of the collection, and Experian only had a credit inquiry by the collection agency. I contacted the collections office and they acknowledged and noted that it wasn't my collection. 

Do I just sit tight and wait for it to fall of my credit report at this point? since it hasn't been added to experian and Equifax I'm assuming it wont be added now that I contacted the collections agency.

Why is this so complicated?, I still believe that being forced to buy a credit report to dispute an item on it is highly unethical.

Sorry.. I'm in a bit of a ranting mood since this will put my house seeking on hold until this gets resolved.

Thanks for listening!

Is it the same collections that was deleted from EX, but is still showing on TU. You can call TU and ask for it to be removed I would guess. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
calcazar01
New Visitor

Nope, It's a new collections agency with a different billing amount!

Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@calcazar01 wrote:

Nope, It's a new collections agency with a different billing amount!

if its definately not your can ask debt validation or something to that effect and if they can't verify it then it should be off, but i agree having to deal with all these collections can be really annoying :-(

Message 4 of 8
calcazar01
New Visitor

Would I ask the credit company for a debt validation? or the collections agency? I find that I must purchase a report before I can speak to someone on the phone about a dispute

Message 5 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@calcazar01 wrote:

Would I ask the credit company for a debt validation? or the collections agency? I find that I must purchase a report before I can speak to someone on the phone about a dispute

You can try and ask in the rebuilding forum they may be more knowledgable, i am not sure on the intricacies of it. I would assume you do it with CRA as they would validate it with collection agency, but that i am not 100% sure about. 

Message 6 of 8
JennaD075
Contributor

You don't have to buy a credit repor to make a dispute. You can dispute.  Did the CRA tell you that you had to buy the report to dispute?

Message 7 of 8
coterotie
Established Contributor

You don't have to buy a report to dispute, however, the CRA's make it difficult to find the area to dispute.  You can doa google search and it will take you to the page or search on the CRA website. There are a number of reasons to get the "free" dispute report.  You can also use the report number from annual credit report if they require a report.  Finally, I like to have a couple of soft-pull credit increase credit cards to help here for situations lilke this.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.