Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Incorrect Amounts on old unpaid CA's? or Just Let It Be

tag
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Dispute Incorrect Amounts on old unpaid CA's? or Just Let It Be

I'm working on rebuilding one of the worst credit scores in history...lol. The most majority of my delinquencies are due to a job loss in 2009, and a few others to some poor mgmt back in 2008. One credior won 3 judgements against me and has garnished wages, but due to their psycho interest practices they are saying amounts from $2 to $200 are left on those accts. They have not reported any delinquencies since last year

Sorry for the long story, but my question is...since the SOL has passed (almost everything falls off in 2016). If I dispute those tradelines as having incorrect amounts (they are currently listed with the full amounts) will my score be hurt when they post the new amounts )because the reporting date would make them recent OR can it help since it would make my debt amount smaller?

Thanks for anyones help, I haven't gotten much response to many of my posts!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Dispute Incorrect Amounts on old unpaid CA's? or Just Let It Be

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

I'm working on rebuilding one of the worst credit scores in history...lol. The most majority of my delinquencies are due to a job loss in 2009, and a few others to some poor mgmt back in 2008. One credior won 3 judgements against me and has garnished wages, but due to their psycho interest practices they are saying amounts from $2 to $200 are left on those accts. They have not reported any delinquencies since last year

Sorry for the long story, but my question is...since the SOL has passed (almost everything falls off in 2016). If I dispute those tradelines as having incorrect amounts (they are currently listed with the full amounts) will my score be hurt when they post the new amounts )because the reporting date would make them recent OR can it help since it would make my debt amount smaller?

My scores were worse. No need to brag about worst scores in credit history Smiley Wink

Who obtainted the judgements? Were they OC accounts or collection accounts?

If collection accounts, the balances don't matter at all; if you dispute them and they update, it shouldn't have any baring on the score, nor to the improper balances provide enough to compel a deletion.

What I would do is pay it all off as soon as possible, get the reported balances at 0.

Once that is achieved, look up your counties policy and see if you can vacate the judgments since they will be paid; this will ensure removal from your credit reports on the judgements. Then you can try to GW the collection accounts since they will be paid.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

Which amounts are incorrect, the judgments or the CA accounts?

Message 3 of 7
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

It's a mix. Mostly the judgements, but some of the collections are incorrect as well. They are basically from a CU that acted as it's own collection agency. This credit union is very stubborn and wouldn't even agree to settle the debt when I first re-entered employement, despite having been with them for awhile at the time. I just want to avoid losing as many points as possible.

Message 4 of 7
Mavsman

I have been disputing incorrect information with the CA's for a few years. As of yesterday I called an old creditor that I had paid off that I didn't remember paying and they said it should have been deleted yeas ago. So the question is,what exactly has the credit bureau's been accepting as verification if the creditor knew the account wasn't unpaid like they had been reporting it.
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CRAs use e-Oscar.  While the concept is good, it has issues.   Google it and see what you can find.

Message 6 of 7
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I"m still trying to decide what to do? I'm jujst afraid to wake a sleeping giant

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.