Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Negative item multiple times?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Negative item multiple times?

I recently diputed a negative Char-Off on my credit reports. The accoutn was removed from both Trans Union and Experian. But it remained in Equifax. Is there any harm in disputing it again with Equifax?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Re: Dispute Negative item multiple times?

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently diputed a negative Char-Off on my credit reports. The accoutn was removed from both Trans Union and Experian. But it remained in Equifax. Is there any harm in disputing it again with Equifax?

I've disputed my only negative (paid collection) on the only bureau (Equifax) every single month for the last 11.  So, I don't necessarily see any harm. At this point I'm  just hoping someone will get tired of it. I also email the company weekly, on Fridays, asking them to, essentially, stop verifying it. 

It hasn't gotten me anywhere, positively or negatively.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If the reporting of the item is correct then we cannot advocate you dispute it as it would violate the credit repair guidelines of myFico. If there is a discrepancy in the reporting then you can dispute that problem.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA permits the dismissal of any dispute that is substantially the same as a prior dispute without any requirment to investigate or treat the dispute on the merits.

In the language of the FCRA, the dispute is dismissed as "frivolous or irrelevant."

However, if your renewed dispute includes new information not previously submitted, the dispute is not "substantially the same" and must be considered.

If one has simply re-submitted a dispute with no new information, it is possible that it wont be dismissed as "frivolous or irrelevant," but it clearly can.

That includes the submission of a direct dispute after a prior dispute via the CRA.

The next step after receiving an investigation of a dispute, if the consumer still disagrees, is to either submit a complaint to the CFPB or bring your own civil action for lack of an adequate investigation of the dispute.  FCRA 623(c).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.