Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Results "meets FCRA requirements"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Results "meets FCRA requirements"

Hello

I recently disputed an account on TransUnion (I did it via creditkarma) that I know to be reporting inaccurately.

Just received my results today:

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute Results "meets FCRA requirements"

So your mother paid it off BEFORE the CA received it in January 2011?

Message 2 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

If it's reporting incorrectly, it probably should be disputed, I'd think.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am assuming that you disputed the accuracy of the balance, asserting it shuld be $0,, which also would require the collection to show paid and closed.

I also ssume that your dispute did not include any documentation, only an assertion.

If they then verified, you have a completed dispute.

You can dispute again, but in order to be entitled to a new investigation, you must include new documentation that was not previously submitted.

Proof of payment, such as a cancelled check, money order receipt, etc., would be on point, and entitle you to a new reinvestigation.

Since only the debt collector is reporting, then verifcation is made by the debt collector and reported back to the CRA.

In their verification, they presumably contacted the OC for their input, and apparently received confirmation that the creditor verifies no payment was received.

My next step, before disputing, would be to call the OC and have a chat with them.

If they inform you that they confirm payment, then they would likely also inform you that they have no active collection assignment with the debt collector.

That would be an additional basis for any dispute, and I would want to include that confirmation from the OC if you can get it.

The DV process is not the way to go.

Even though they apparently did not send dunning notice, and thus a DV would be timely, there is no period for or requirment to respond to a DV.  They can simply accept the cease collection bar and never respond.

I would use the dispute process, as it has a 30-day reinvestigation period.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have a bill
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have a bill through the horizon and that says the same thing fcra requirements what does that mean does that mean I don't have to pay on it or doesn't mean I get screwed someone put it in my name and I tried to dispute it and it keeps coming up that I pretty much have to pay if so is there a way that I could dispute it and get removed from my credit report and get a better high score
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And it is through Verizon Wireless can someone tell me what to do I need help
Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Meets FCRA requirments" means that the dispute was resolved, either by verification of the accuracy of the disputed information or by correction of the reported information so as to overcome any agreed inaccuracy.

Resolution of a dispute does not necessarily mean that the debt is not legit/need not be paid.

A dispute asserts a specific inaccuracy in reported information, which could broadly apply to anything, ranging from the spelling of the consumer's name to the legitimacy of the debt.  The implications of a positive resolution of a dispute is confined only to a finding with respect to the specific information identified in the dispute, which is not necessarily related to the ultimate legitimacy of the debt.

If the assertion is that you never authorized any account upon which the asserted debt is based, then the proper procedure is to get the information blocked from your credit report by using the identity theft process set forth in FCRA 605B.  The FCRA dispute process is usually not adequate to address removal of reporting asserted to be based on identity theft.

That process does not include any involvement of the reporting party, and is based only on the assertion by the consumer provided it is accompanied by a police report.  See the sticky thread discussion of the Identity Theft Process in the upper portion of the General Credit Topics forum for details on the identity theft process.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

"Meets FCRA requirments" means that the dispute was resolved, either by verification of the accuracy of the disputed information or by correction of the reported information so as to overcome any agreed inaccuracy.

Resolution of a dispute does not necessarily mean that the debt is not legit/need not be paid.

A dispute asserts a specific inaccuracy in reported information, which could broadly apply to anything, ranging from the spelling of the consumer's name to the legitimacy of the debt.  The implications of a positive resolution of a dispute is confined only to a finding with respect to the specific information identified in the dispute, which is not necessarily related to the ultimate legitimacy of the debt.

If the assertion is that you never authorized any account upon which the asserted debt is based, then the proper procedure is to get the information blocked from your credit report by using the identity theft process set forth in FCRA 605B.  The FCRA dispute process is usually not adequate to address removal of reporting asserted to be based on identity theft.

That process does not include any involvement of the reporting party, and is based only on the assertion by the consumer provided it is accompanied by a police report.  See the sticky thread discussion of the Identity Theft Process in the upper portion of the General Credit Topics forum for details on the identity theft process.

Do you know what it mean if the account has been closed with the company but they have not cleared the balance? Should I contact the company?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.