Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Tax Liens

tag
Jeeper44
Valued Member

Dispute Tax Liens

I have two tax liens on my TU report from 2003 and 2004. They are both still on the report because they are showing as open liens even though they were both paid back in 2004 and 2005 respectively. I had a bad habit on paying my property taxes annually, although they collect quarterly. Before making the payment the town would throw a lien up, then I would go and pay it. I know, stupid, but its past history but still causing me headaches. These liens only show up on TU.

I had recently used the online dispute on all 3 reports to clear an incorrect judgement successfully. I went back into my account at TU to file a dispute against these two liens but don't have any option to file a new claim, even though their FAQ states I should have a "New Dispute" button. I believe the dispute option is the correct one, as I'm arguing the reporting of both of these liens as being wrong. I can see on the county deed's website where the liens were released and therefore should be dropped from my TU report all together. The only reason they're still there is because they're reported as open. Should I just contact the registry of deeds and ask them to update their report to the CA? Both are well past the 7 year cutoff for reporting if they were reporting correctly.

I have 2 other liens that still hurt from 2008 and 2010 (I didn't smarten up until last year) but those are listed as "released liens".

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: Dispute Tax Liens

Jeeper44:

I just saw your post as I have been reading others about "issues" with tax liens.  I also have tax liens reporting as open although they are paid.  In reading other posts, I found a letter (I wish I could give credit to the author, but I can't remember who wrote it) that I recently sent to send to the CRAs (CMRRR).  Here it is:

CERTIFIED MAIL #: xxxxxx

DATE:

TransUnion Consumer Solutions

P.O. Box 2000

Chester, PA 19022-2000

Sir or Madam:

I recently obtained a copy of my credit report from your company.  I am very upset that you have included inaccurate information in my credit report due to its damaging effects on my credit.  This letter is a formal request to correct the inaccurate information contained in my credit file.

You list a Tax Lien (Reference # ) filed [date] in the amount of $xxx, yet you do not note a release date.  This lien has been paid.  I have enclosed proof of the release.

By the provisions of Section 611 of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act of 1970, I demand these items be deleted from all current and future credit reports.  Please forward the names of any individuals and/or organizations you contacted so I may follow up with them directly.

I shall assume that 30 days constitutes a “reasonable time” for verification of these entries.  Through my interpretation of Section 611(a), it is understood that the failure to verify these items within 30 days constitutes a reason to promptly drop the information from the credit report.

Pursuant to Section 611(d) of The Fair Credit and Reporting Act, please send notification that these items have been deleted.  Please send an updated credit report to my address that is listed below.  The provisions of section 612 states that there is no charge for this notification.

I thank you for your consideration and cooperation.  If you have any questions concerning this matter I can be reached at (xxx)xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

You

SS: xxx-xx-xxxx

DOB: xx/xx/xxxx

street

city, state xxxxx

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 2 of 8
cseanh
New Visitor

Hi there, any results with this approach? I have three satisfied judgements that still appear after two years. Trying to get them removed. Thanks for any insight.

Message 3 of 8
shawniepooh78
New Visitor

A tax lien will remain on your credit report 7 years from the date it is paid; however it will have minimal affect after 4 years.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA dispute process under FCRA 611 does not compel deletion of information that is inaccurately reported.

It reuires the CRA to conduct a reinvestigation, and reach a determination of whether the reporting can be verified as accurate.

If not, they always have the optioh of correcting the information so as to overcome the inaccuracy.

Deletion of disputed information is required only if either rhe accuracy cannot be verified or the inaccuracy corrected.

Message 5 of 8
cseanh
New Visitor

So, what are you implying regarding my situation Robert?

Message 6 of 8
cseanh
New Visitor

Actually, I've read that in New York state, satisfied judgements only stay on for 5 years - is that correct? 

Message 7 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@cseanh wrote:

Actually, I've read that in New York state, satisfied judgements only stay on for 5 years - is that correct? 

I don't know if that is the case. What I do know, is that the CRAs pull judgement information from 3rd parties.. the CRAs themselves don't communicate with courts and what not.. so knowing what is your public record searches can go a along way to removing things.. 

There are a myriad of ways you can try to remove judgements.. 

If its is satisfied, some people have had success contacting the party who sought judgement and asking them to vacate the judgement.. in Illinois you can do that, I am unsure about NY.

Some people have had luck writing GW letters to the judge on record..  

If you were to dispute, I would pull your LexisNexis reports.. the CRAs, at least in my situations, have relied on information in your LexisNexis reports, specifically your Banko report... If you work to remove public record information with LexisNexis, your success in disputing might increase, if you have a valid reason to dispute.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.