Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Verification Request - Express Recovery Services

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Verification Request - Express Recovery Services

I sent a short DV letter to Express Recovery Services on 12/2/09.  My letter said:

Re: Account # 123456(actual account number was given)

December 2, 2009

I pulled my credit bureau report and discovered that you claim I owe you a debt.  Under section 809 of FDCPA I am requesting validation of the debt, which includes a copy of the debt or judgment for which you are collecting.

Sincerely,

My husbands name

They replied on 129/09 with this:

Re: Dispute verification request

We received your letter regarding an account assigned to our office for collection.  A copy of the letter is attached.

Based upon the review of your dispute it has been determined that your dispute is frivolous or irrelevant based on the fact that you have not identified a specific item of information that is in the dispute.  You have not explained your basis for the dispute and you have provided no supporting documentation required to substantiate the basis for your dispute according to FCRA regulations.

In order for us to complete an investigation on this account you will need to provide:

1) Identify the specific item of information that is in dispute

2. Explain the basis for your dispute

3. Provide all supporting documentation..Etc.

What the heck?  I sent a DV letter and they are treating it as a dispute.  

Any suggestions as to next steps?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute Verification Request - Express Recovery Services

First thing you need to identify is, who is Express Recovery Services?

If they are an in-house collection burearu of the OC (i.e., not a third party CA), then you cannot DV them.

The FDCPA only applies to third party collection agencies. You cant DV an OC, or its affilate branches.

Who is the original creditor?

Who is Express Recovery Services?

Is there a third party CA?

Has any CA posted to your CR?

If so, did they provide dunning notice?

It appears that they dont consider theerself to be a third party CA, and did not know how to deal with your DV letter, so I cant fault them very much.

Please provide details., and then we can help.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 12-29-2009 02:06 AM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Express Recovery Services are a CA out of UT.

The Original Creditor is an Emergency Room in Wyoming.

This is the 3rd party CA.

Yes, this is on my husband's credit report.

I have no idea about the dunning notice.

This is defintitely a CA.

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really need some help

Sorry to be a nudge...but we are applying for a mortgage soon and I need to get this taken care of ASAP.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I have searched here, there and everywhere and can't figure out how to handle this.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest try again and be more specific. I think the first notice was quite short and they were just blowing you off. Send them a DV letter back and state that you are requesting validation of the debt they are trying to collect and that you want them to provide you the name of the original creditor, the exact amount they claim you owe and a detailed explanation of what that amount is for and how it is calculated, and a copy of any contract or any other paperwork that shows that you are legally responsible for the debt.

Explain that you are not sure what this debt they claim you owe is for and that you do not feel you owe the debt and that is the basis for your dispute.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.