Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute a PIF charge off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute a PIF charge off

Is it a good idea to dispute a already paid in full charge off account and hope OC doesn't respond and get a delete or can that hurt me.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute a PIF charge off

In order to dispute, you must provide a basis for some inaccuracy in their reporting.

A dispute that lacks any showing of an actual inaccuracy can be dismissed as frivolous or irrelevant without any need for investigation.

Your post does not assert any inaccuracy.

The proper procedure for a paid charge-off is to request a good-will deletion by the creditor.

Sending a frivolous dispute might not help in a future quest for good-will.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything I can see on new reports is that it's not saying anywhere that it's paid in full. Can that be a reason to dispute
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It can be a reason for dispute, but not a reason to delete the charge-off

A dispute ony relates to the information that is identified as being inaccurate.

The resolution of the dispute only relates to verification, correction, or if neither of those is determined, deletion.

It will not, even if unverified, result in any requirment to delete other information, such as any reported derogs.

I would suggest an informal call to get the current balance updated, thus avoiding a formal dispute that might be viewed as confrontational, and thus impact any grant of good will.  Your path is to request good-will deletion.

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Have you tried sending any GW letters to them?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.