Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute account confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute account confused

Back in early June I disputed a collection from a CA on a AT&T account. The dispute was just a simple "the balance can't be right" well late June I got in the mail from the CA a fraud letter to fill out a bunch of information like my address and report to police and stuff. Well it wound up being deleted and I never responded that letter. What happened in this dispute? Clearly that was not my intention to claim fraud. Does the CA simply can't prove the balance is correct and tried to pull a fast one. Can this account reappear. The amount was on report as $2000 how the hell can a cell phone even get that high is beyond me. So I know balance is wrong
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute account confused

What was the response from the CRA?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In order to to resolve your fraud/identity theft claim regarding the account please fill out the attached declaration which is required by AT&T.
Also AT&T requires you to provide the required identification of proof of residency from 4/9/16-6/7/16
Doesn't make sense why even proof of residency of that date I been wit Verizon since 2014
And again I never disputed fraud
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRA just deleted I don't know if they gave reason but it was deleted after 30 days of dispute
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
CRA just deleted I don't know if they gave reason but it was deleted after 30 days of dispute

IDC what the CA said. The CRA gave you a reason, either through the mail or through the website. How long ago was it deleted?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I went thru some old mail and found a equifax letter.
As you requested we successfully placed an initial fraud alert on your equifax credit file. This alert will remain on your equifax credit file for 90 days.

Now nowhere on my credit reports do I see any fraud alert. Or at least I have not seen any. Also a hard pill was done by discover on EQ again no fraud alert.
This was deleted off my report I believe 6/2
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow I went thru some old mail and found a equifax letter.
As you requested we successfully placed an initial fraud alert on your equifax credit file. This alert will remain on your equifax credit file for 90 days.

Now nowhere on my credit reports do I see any fraud alert. Or at least I have not seen any. Also a hard pill was done by discover on EQ again no fraud alert.
This was deleted off my report I believe 6/2

I doubt it will be reinserted. They added an EXTENDED Fraud Alert to my file for that stupid TXU Energy account -.-

You can call them and check to make sure there isn't one, but if there is you can have it removed.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry it was deleted 7/2 but I hope you're right and it doesn't come back
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This account still has not been put back on my report deleted 7/2 does it look like I'm clear from this or still possible that it comes back been almost 2 full months since deletion
Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA stated that it treated your communication as a request for a fraud alert, and not as a dispute.

Thus, there was no resolution of a "dispute" by the CRA, which must have been either by dismissal of the dispute as frivolous or irrelevant, or by sending of a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation.  Either one or the other would have been required within 35-40'ish days after filing of a "dispute."

The deletion of the collection was thus a voluintary reporting by the debt collector, and not a finding by the CRA that the disputed collection could not be verified.

The debt collector, or another debt collector, could reinsert at any time without any reinsertion restrictions, which only apply when information is deleted as a result of fiinding in a dispute that the accuracy could not be verified.  In such cases where a dispute is the basis for the deletion, a resinsertion would required to be accompanied by a certificaiton of accuracy.

Hopefully, it wont be reinserted, but the current or a new debt collector could do so without restriction.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.