Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute backfire - will it hurt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute backfire - will it hurt?

Long story short, a CSR at a CA told me to dispute via TU as "account included in divorce decree". I did on the first account and it was deleted.

The second account was simply verified, which updated the last reporting date from 2013 to today.

It's a paid, closed collection. Is this going to have a negative impact on my score, and should I expect it to be bug?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute backfire - will it hurt?

Also would like to know. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Long story short, a CSR at a CA told me to dispute via TU as "account included in divorce decree". I did on the first account and it was deleted.

The second account was simply verified, which updated the last reporting date from 2013 to today.

It's a paid, closed collection. Is this going to have a negative impact on my score, and should I expect it to be bug?

A have disputed old paid collections and they have not effected my score one bit when they were verified.

Message 3 of 8
kaybean22
Valued Member

I've been disputing a 6 year old CO for about 3 years (in some hope they might have "forgot about me". They keep updating it, and it hasn't had any effect on my credit. The status stays the same, but so does my score.

If it's a paid, closed collection, have you consider sending a GW letter? Also, if I understand it correctly and the debt isn't really yours per the divorce, keep disputing it. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kaybean22 wrote:

I've been disputing a 6 year old CO for about 3 years (in some hope they might have "forgot about me". They keep updating it, and it hasn't had any effect on my credit. The status stays the same, but so does my score.

If it's a paid, closed collection, have you consider sending a GW letter? Also, if I understand it correctly and the debt isn't really yours per the divorce, keep disputing it. 

The loan(s) were supposed to be paid as part of the divorce. They weren't and ended up in collections. 

I called the CA and asked for GW (letters weren't working, why not?). The lady I spoke with asked her supervisor, who said to dispute them as not mine per divorce and they'd probably be removed. The CSR said, "Start with one of them, and if that's removed dispute the other." That's what I did. First one was removed no problem, but the second one is sticking around. The difference was the first dispute was done via the TU website and the second was done over the phone with a TU CSR.

How long do I have to wait to dispute it again? I know if I try now, TU will just shoot me a letter stating my dispute is "frivolous."

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a phone number listed on the TL that I've called it a few times and always get a voicemail. It's listed online as a private landline, but not associated with the CA at all. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A divorce decree can not remove of alter you obligation to a creditor, while you ex-spouse may be held accountable by the divorce court your creditor is not and can put the account into collections, sue or take any other recourse permisible in collecting the debt.  The collection agency can still verify the account regardless of the divroce decree.

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

This is a non disputable item as already stated a divorce decree does not cancel ones obligation to a creditor unless its refinanced into the others name alone. I would resume GW letter campaign to CEOs office of the CA at one a month.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.